Text  Larger | Smaller | Default

NewsNow

Hearn denies 'compo' charge


Filed: Tuesday, 1st October 2013
By: Staff Writer


Leyton Orient empresario Barry Hearn has vowed to keep on fighting the decision to award use of the Olympic Stadium to West Ham United - whilst denying that his motivation is greed.

The 65-year-old Essex-based businessman, whose bid to overturn the LLDC's decision ended in failure after his call for a judicial review was rejected by the High Court last month admitted that he understood why some viewed financial gain as his primary incentive.

But speaking in an interview with (Tottenham supporter) Mihir Bose for today's Evening Standard, Hearn rejected such claims, insisting that his crusade was "a moral issue" instead.

"I can understand the mentality of people who think that. Because my nature is fairly loud and brash, they think Barryís after some compensation," he said.

"Actually, compensation is a waste of time. If youíre going down the slippery slope, all youíre doing is delaying the demise of a League One club. That is inevitable if a Premier League club move in only 750 yards from their doorstep.

"We understand youíve got to have a major team in there. But what about us? Are we just to be forgotten?

"Itís not about Jack the Lad, Barry Hearn, trying to nick a few quid or cause trouble. The biggest issue is the moral issue. Iíve been fighting in the courts for three years and itís not in my nature to fund lawyers' holidays and expense accounts to the tune of £750,000 just to cause trouble.

"What is ludicrous is that people see me as the sort of operator thatís always looking for money. I am not in football to make money."

Once again, Hearn's claims were dismissed by West Ham who reiterated the fact that Leyton Orient's Brisbane Road ground was actually one-and-a-half miles from the Olympic Stadium, not 750 yards as Hearn continues to claim - and outside the London Borough of Newham, unlike both Upton Park and Stratford.

And Hearn's apparently altruistic motives are in sharp contrast to comments he made in 2006, when he told the Daily Telegraph: "I'm going to put enough in to keep it [LOFC] going and hopefully to have some fun myself. It's quite selfish.

"I'm doing this for Barry Hearn. I'm not doing it for the fans. The number of chairmen who say 'I'm doing it for the community'? To be honest that's a load of b*llocks. I'm doing this for me."

You may read the entire interview with Barry Hearn on the Evening Standard's website.





Related News

   arrow   Steady Edi departs [3rd Jun 2019]
   arrow   West Ham remain in 'best brands' top 20 [16th May 2019]
   arrow   Hasenhuttl set to ring the changes [3rd May 2019]
   arrow   OSB deny ISA takover bid [2nd May 2019]
   arrow   Credit where it isn't due [30th Apr 2019]
   arrow   Pre-match press conference: Brendan Rodgers vs West Ham Utd [19th Apr 2019]
   arrow   No singing the blues [1st Apr 2019]
   arrow   West Ham United 0-2 Everton [30th Mar 2019]
   arrow   In brief - Friday's news round-up [29th Mar 2019]
   arrow   Pellegrini still hopeful of Euro spot [28th Mar 2019]



Your Comments


Please note that this section is for comments relating to the above news item only. Any off-topic or abusive posts will be removed. Posts including either links and/or foul language are automatically filtered and will not be published. To engage in further discussion on any of our news stories, visit the KUMB Forums.

Not a member of the KUMB Forums? You may register for free membership here.

comments powered by Disqus
 
News Image




On This Day ...

One Year Ago
West Ham eye Brazilian winger
West Ham are investigating the possibility of signing Shakhtar Donetsk wing...more
Three Years Ago
Weekend transfer round-up
Missed out on any transfer rumours this weekend?...more
Five Years Ago
New deal for teenage prodigy
West Ham have confirmed that teenage defender Josh Pask has signed a new deal with the club....more