Text  Larger | Smaller | Default

NewsNow

Sinclair: happy to stay


Filed: Monday, 19th May 2003
By: Graeme Howlett


Hammers midfielder Trevor Sinclair has become the latest player to confirm that he will be playing at Upton Park next season - assuming, that is, the club wish to retain his services.

Sinclair, speaking this afternoon (Monday) told whufc.co.uk that he has no intentions of following Jermain Defoe and requesting a transfer - even though he is one of the favourites to move to pastures new this summer.

"If the club want to keep me I am going to be up for the challenge," he said.

"I am not going to be going in and knocking on any doors putting in transfer requests. If the club want me to stay and fight for promotion next year then that is what I am going to be doing."

That in itself will come as a surprise to many who were tipping the England winger to be one of the first players out of Upton Park once the club had been relegated.

Of course, Sinclair's comments do not necessarily mean that he wouldn't consider a move if offered one - a point alluded to when he added:

"I have got two years left on my contract but I know the club has to make savings, so there are going to be players leaving.

"I presume the players that are a bit older - like myself and David James - might be considered worth letting go if there are clubs interested, and if it is advantageous to the club to sell.

"They will be trying to cut the wage bill and look for replacements. That is just looking from where I am stood, but the club might have a different agenda and we will have to cross that bridge when we come to it."

Even if the more cynical would have you believe that Sinclair's comments were nothing more than well chosen and carefully considered following the reaction to Jermain Defoe's transfer request last week, it cannot be argued that they are not welcomed.

Now, almost every first team player - bar Jermain Defoe and, perhaps more worryingly, club captain Joe Cole - has confirmed that they intend to stay at the club despite the fall into Division One. With the playing squad already stretched to the limit it is vital that the Hammers retain all of their regular first team players.

* Yesterday's Sunday Mirror reported that Michael Carrick has also confirmed his desire to remain at West Ham, despite interest from the likes of Newcastle and Arsenal.

However - as is often the case with the weekend tabloids - there were no direct quotes with which to validate the story.





Related News

   arrow   KUMB Awards XXI: vote now! [16th May 2018]
   arrow   Sinclair, Brooking, Obiang & Moyes: Thursday's news [23rd Nov 2017]
   arrow   Date set for Sinclair hearing [22nd Nov 2017]
   arrow    Hernandez, Obiang, Reid & Snodgrass: Thursday's news [16th Nov 2017]
   arrow   New blow for troubled Sincs [15th Nov 2017]
   arrow   Antonio, Moyes, Pearce & Sinclair: Tuesday's news [14th Nov 2017]
   arrow   Sincs nicked in drink driving bust [13th Nov 2017]
   arrow   Greedy agent cost Quina loan move [3rd Sep 2017]
   arrow   In brief - Thursday's news round-up [8th Jun 2017]
   arrow   Tricky backs Iheanacho bid [7th Jun 2017]



Your Comments


Please note that this section is for comments relating to the above news item only. Any off-topic or abusive posts will be removed. Posts including either links and/or foul language are automatically filtered and will not be published. To engage in further discussion on any of our news stories, visit the KUMB Forums.

Not a member of the KUMB Forums? You may register for free membership here.

comments powered by Disqus
 
News Image




On This Day ...

One Year Ago
In brief - Tuesday's news round-up
Get the very latest West Ham news in one place, with our new daily media ro...more
Three Years Ago
West Ham Utd 1-2 Leicester City
West Ham fell to their first defeat of the new season - thanks to two first half goals from today's ...more
Five Years Ago
The David Sullivan interview
Earlier this week KUMB had the opportunity to sit down with David Sullivan, the co-owner of West Ham...more