Text  Larger | Smaller | Default

NewsNow

OS officers quit over safety fears


Filed: Friday, 4th November 2016
By: Staff Writer


The Olympic Stadium's former safety officer quit the post in the summer after expressing concerns regarding the 'temporary' lower-tier seating, it has been revealed.

A story by David Conn in today's Guardian reveals how Chris Baker quit the role before West Ham United completed their move from Upton Park to Stratford in the wake of serious concerns regarding safety at the arena - an issue that has dogged the club ever since.

Baker, who had been in the role for less than two years was joined by fellow officer Ravi Sharma, who also quit following the sell-out concert staged by AC/DC at the OS back in June.

According to Conn, Baker cited concerns regarding the temporary seating that has been installed - on the cheap - by stadium joint-owners Newham Council and the LLDC as reason for his resignation.

Baker is understood to have told colleagues that the stadium's running track and lower tier had been damaged by the installation of the temporary stands, which will take around 15 days to move to and from 'athletics mode' when required.

That means West Ham will have to play the first two games of next season away from home, a request to which the Premier League are understood to have already acceded to.

However when Baker's concerns - which also included worries regarding insufficient policing, stewarding and poor overall event management - were ignored by his employees, the stadium's owners, he tendered his resignation.

Newham Council, as well as being part owners of the venue are also responsible for issue the Olympic Stadium's safety certificate - a not entirely unique, yet questionable situation that allows the body to certify its own work.

A spokesperson told the Guardian that this "in no way impacts on [our] role in monitoring safety which we take very seriously”.

* Read Paul Walker on the OS debacle in his latest piece, 'The truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth' here.





Related News

   arrow   Lanzini set for first team return [15th Feb 2018]
   arrow   The opposition view: Watford [12th Feb 2018]
   arrow   March route announced [12th Feb 2018]
   arrow   Post-match press conference: David Moyes v Watford [video] [11th Feb 2018]
   arrow   Sullivan issues appeal to fans [10th Feb 2018]
   arrow   Brady, Antonio, Moyes & Obiang: Wednesday's news [7th Feb 2018]
   arrow   Brady apologises for delay [6th Feb 2018]
   arrow   Action group appeal smashes target [5th Feb 2018]
   arrow   In brief - Wednesday's news round-up [31st Jan 2018]
   arrow   Antonio axed from Palace squad [30th Jan 2018]



Your Comments


Please note that this section is for comments relating to the above news item only. Any off-topic or abusive posts will be removed. Posts including either links and/or foul language are automatically filtered and will not be published. To engage in further discussion on any of our news stories, visit the KUMB Forums.

Not a member of the KUMB Forums? You may register for free membership here.

comments powered by Disqus
 
News Image




On This Day ...

One Year Ago
Noble on Hunter [audio]
The second part of Mark Noble's interview with journalist Graham Hunter in ...more
Three Years Ago
Nene: the first interview (video)
Listen to new striker Nene's first interview since joining West Ham here....more
Five Years Ago
Piquionne departs - at last
Forgotten striker Freddie Piquionne could finally be set to leave West Ham - having spent the last y...more