Text  Larger | Smaller | Default

NewsNow

'Fans not bans' protest set for Arsenal game


Filed: Tuesday, 15th November 2016
By: Staff Writer


A group of West Ham supporters incensed by the club's decision to ban up to 200 supporters following disturbances in the EFA Cup game against Chelsea are urging fellow fans to join in with a protest next week.

On Saturday, 3 December West Ham will play host to London rivals Arsenal in the weekend's big London derby. And a group of fans are hoping to mark the occasion by protesting against what they see as unfair treatment by the club of its fans.


The group has started its own Facebook page


"We need to stand up to the club regarding the ongoing resentment and treatment of its fans," read a statement by spokesperson John Hallett posted on West Ham United's own Facebook page.

"First we had the 200 fans that have received bans without being shown any evidence or explanation of why their STs have been revoked, after this we had fans in 114 moved against their wishes and now we have the yellow cap snatch squad, whose members were sent into section 127 to harass and provoke loyal fans.

"This should be the last straw for what has (so far) been an ill-thought-out stadium transition."

And the group have called for fans to demonstrate their dissatisfaction by leaving the stadium empty when the match - which is being broadcast live on TV - kicks off.

"We need a show of solidarity to fellow fans without affecting the team," added Hallett. "Therefore at the Arsenal match please refrain from taking to your seat until just after the match has started, show the owners and Brady what a big stadium looks like with no fans and no noise (not even bubbles).

"On your way to the seat please let Brady & Co know how we feel, but after that please back the team all through the game, whether seated or standing be as noisy as you can.

"This will be the easiest and cheapest protest to organise with the large numbers involved and will look very effective on TV with a completely empty home section at kick off and will hopefully get the message across for the club and stadium operators to work with us not against."





Related News

   arrow    Hernandez, Obiang, Reid & Snodgrass: Thursday's news [16th Nov 2017]
   arrow   Lax OS security exposed - again [14th Nov 2017]
   arrow   In brief - Friday's news round-up [10th Nov 2017]
   arrow   Chairman pleas for fans' support [9th Nov 2017]
   arrow   Bilic, Moyes, Martinez & Fonte: Thursday's news [9th Nov 2017]
   arrow   Moyes: 'I'm taking over a great football club' [8th Nov 2017]
   arrow   In brief - Wednesday's news round-up [8th Nov 2017]
   arrow   Bilic's 'fight had gone', says Sullivan [8th Nov 2017]
   arrow   Bilic bids farewell [6th Nov 2017]
   arrow   Breaking: Bilic gone [6th Nov 2017]



Your Comments


Please note that this section is for comments relating to the above news item only. Any off-topic or abusive posts will be removed. Posts including either links and/or foul language are automatically filtered and will not be published. To engage in further discussion on any of our news stories, visit the KUMB Forums.

Not a member of the KUMB Forums? You may register for free membership here.

comments powered by Disqus
 
News Image




On This Day ...

One Year Ago
Mountain peak climbed
A charity supported by KUMB.com has reached its target after three years of...more
Three Years Ago
Sakho and Downing doubtful, says Allardyce
West Ham's international duo of Diafra Sakho and Stewart Downing are both doubtful for this weekend'...more
Five Years Ago
Allardyce on... Stoke City
A disappointed Sam Allardyce respects the point - even though he felt it should have been three. His...more