Text  Larger | Smaller | Default

NewsNow

Fonte: West Ham move was a 'no brainer'


Filed: Monday, 6th March 2017
By: Staff Writer


Jose Fonte has revealed that it was an "easy" decision to choose West Ham above any other club when he left Southampton in January.

The 33-year-old Portuguese international joined West Ham for 8million from the Saints during the Winter transfer window. And speaking to former Southampton midfielder Graeme Souness, Fonte admitted that once he learned of United's interest, his mind was made up.

"In the summer, there were a few offers, including West Ham," he said. "In January they came back in and it was a no-brainer for me because of the size of the club, the move to the Olympic Stadium, the passionate fans they have and also the ambition of the manager and the chairman.

"It was an easy decision to choose West Ham. London is also closer to my wife's side of the family so provided her more help to raise the kids. Everything made sense and I'm extremely happy.

"I look around the dressing room and I see a lot of talent and a great manager. I see a lot of team spirit and a lot of possibilities - not only for this year but also for next season. We're in great shape for the future - it's an exciting time."




Fonte - who helped Portugal win Euro 16 last summer - also denied suggestions that the Olympic Stadium has proved a hindrance to the team this season.

"When things don't go well, you try to find any kind of excuse. What we have to get in our head is that it's the same for both teams. You don't want to play in League One and League Two pitches - you want to play on a massive pitch in the Olympic Stadium with beautiful grass. That's where you're going to express yourself in good conditions.

"For me, it's a question of 'get on with it' and accept it. Come up with a gameplan, with a solution and that's what we've been trying to do. It's a big change from the old ground but we are growing as a club.

"We know where we want to go and want to become a big club - we can't have excuses about the stadium. It's a great stadium. When we are playing well, it's fantastic."

Fonte is set to start for West Ham tonight when the Hammers face title-chasing Chelsea at the Olympic Stadium; the match begins at 8pm.





Related News

   arrow   Fonte,Sullivan, Martinez & Hart: Tuesday's news [12th Dec 2017]
   arrow   Fonte blasts 'ignorant' Sullivan [11th Dec 2017]
   arrow   In brief - Monday's news round-up [11th Dec 2017]
   arrow   Snodgrass fires back in new twitter row  [8th Dec 2017]
   arrow   Moyes 'gutted' by narrow defeat [3rd Dec 2017]
   arrow   Fonte pleased with World Cup draw [1st Dec 2017]
   arrow   Bilic, Moyes, Martinez & Fonte: Thursday's news [9th Nov 2017]
   arrow   In brief - Wednesday's news round-up [8th Nov 2017]
   arrow   Pardew seeking to address 'unfinished business' [6th Nov 2017]
   arrow   Fonte apologises for abject performance [20th Oct 2017]



Your Comments


Please note that this section is for comments relating to the above news item only. Any off-topic or abusive posts will be removed. Posts including either links and/or foul language are automatically filtered and will not be published. To engage in further discussion on any of our news stories, visit the KUMB Forums.

Not a member of the KUMB Forums? You may register for free membership here.

comments powered by Disqus
 
News Image




On This Day ...

One Year Ago
The opposition view: Liverpool
Played off the park last year on three occasions by a far superior West Ham...more
Three Years Ago
Ex-Hammer hopes to land Albion deal
Former Hammer Alou Diarra is hoping to land a contract with Brighton & Hove Albion....more
Five Years Ago
Downes departure 'amicable', says Allardyce
Sam Allardyce has confirmed that first team coach Wally Downes has left the club....more