Text  Larger | Smaller | Default

NewsNow

Bored - of earning 125k per week


Filed: Friday, 10th March 2017
By: Staff Writer


Dimitri Payet has slammed West Ham's tactical approach during his final few months at the club, whilst claiming that he was "bored".

The 29-year-old French international returned to Marseille in January in a 25m deal. But whilst he refused to comment on West Ham at the time of his departure, he certainly has plenty to sat now.




"Some people didn't understood my urgent need to leave West Ham in January," he told L'Equipe. "I didn't want to play the last few matches in the Premier League.

"We did not like the way we approached the matches, the defensive system that was put in place. With a 5-4-1 formation I could have all the freedom of the world, but it was complicated to express myself."

And Payet specifically cited the 1-0 win against Hill City in December as the game that determined his decision to request a transfer.

"We won 1-0 and in the changing room, everyone was happy - even though the man of the match that day had been the post," he said. "I felt I did not have any room for improvement. On the contrary, I was in danger of regressing. I needed a new challenge."




Seemingly oblivious to the fact that he was providing evidence of being 'tapped up' by his new club, Payet also revealed that he had been in touch with L'OM boss Rudi Garcia for some considerable time prior to making a transfer request.

"I was bothered and yes, I went through the matches without taking any pleasure. I had contact with L'OM and especially with Rudi Garcia, who has a philosophy that I know well. The decision has to be made quickly. If I waited six months, I would lose six months.

"I warned West Ham I was going to do it and maybe they did not take me seriously. I told them that I would suffer the consequences of my actions. Slaven Bilic knew that I had desires elsewhere as we had discussed it at the beginning of the season, when I returned from the Euros.

"The club closed the door. I respected that choice. But the sporting situation has worsened ad in Jn January, I told him I wanted to go."





Related News

   arrow   Sullivan ordered to repay 700,000 [26th Mar 2018]
   arrow   Boleyn Ground levelled for 8million [6th Mar 2018]
   arrow   Beggars can't be choosers: Fonte departs [23rd Feb 2018]
   arrow   Evra is a Hammer [7th Feb 2018]
   arrow   Collins, Payet, Sakho & Ayew: Monday's news [22nd Jan 2018]
   arrow   In brief - Tuesday's news round-up [28th Nov 2017]
   arrow   Cresswell, Cullen, Rice & Carroll : Tuesday's news [10th Oct 2017]
   arrow   Raid appeal rejected [4th Oct 2017]
   arrow   French lead the way in West Ham imports [21st Sep 2017]
   arrow   In brief - Friday's news round-up [8th Sep 2017]



Your Comments


Please note that this section is for comments relating to the above news item only. Any off-topic or abusive posts will be removed. Posts including either links and/or foul language are automatically filtered and will not be published. To engage in further discussion on any of our news stories, visit the KUMB Forums.

Not a member of the KUMB Forums? You may register for free membership here.

comments powered by Disqus
 
News Image




On This Day ...

One Year Ago
Post-match press conference: Slaven Bilic vs Everton
Slaven Bilic was full of praise for his players after they produced a solid...more
Three Years Ago
Brady, Potts, Cresswell and Song: Wednesday's news
Get the very latest West Ham news in one place, with our new daily media round-up! ...more
Five Years Ago
West Ham set for Ireland and Germany
West Ham United have confirmed their current list of pre-season fixtures....more