Text  Larger | Smaller | Default

NewsNow

Deadline passes, no Sakho return


Filed: Friday, 17th March 2017
By: Staff Writer


Diafra Sakho is still some distance from featuring for the first team - despite Slaven Bilic claiming at Christmas that the striker would be absent for "six to eight weeks".

The Senegal international has missed the entire season bar two matches, when he played for an hour against Tottenham and Manchester United last November.

Following his latest 'injury', said to have been sustained after the Manchester United match, Bilic claimed that Sakho would return to action this month.

"It's a big blow for us. It will rule him out for six to eight - maybe 10 - weeks," said Bilic, speaking shortly before Christmas. "We are talking about even March for him to be back."




However with March already half-way through, club medic Stijn Vandebroucke says that Sakho is still some way off making a first team return - and will only begin training with the Under 23s next week, despite having travelled with the first team squad in Dubai last month.

"Diafra is getting stronger and stronger and he will start training with the PL2 squad next week," Vandenbroucke told the club's website.

"We work closely with Academy Director Terry Westley to ensure we can introduce returning players to controlled sessions, and Diaf will train with the PL2 squad for two weeks before he returns to training with the first team."




In other injury news, Angelo Ogbonna's rehabilitation programme is said to be going well. "Angelo has stepped up his rehab and began running on Thursday at Rush Green following the patellar tendon operation he underwent in January," added Vandenbroucke.

"He is still quite some time from a return to full fitness, but the story is positive and the rehab is going as well as we could possibly have hoped."

Meanwhile he also confirmed the news that club captain Mark Noble will be absent for the visit of Champions League quarter finalists Leicester City this weekend.

"Mark picked up a knock in training and passed a fitness test to play against Chelsea," he confirmed. "After a few days of recovery and improvement, he played again at Bournemouth.

"Unfortunately, he picked up another knock in the same area of his body in that game and that took him out. He will also miss Saturday’s game against Leicester City too and a week of rest and rehab will help to prepare him for the three-game week coming up against Hull, Arsenal and Swansea."





Related News

   arrow   HMRC investigate '£5m fraud' [26th Apr 2017]
   arrow   West Ham Utd 0-0 Everton [22nd Apr 2017]
   arrow   Carroll out - but duo set for return [21st Apr 2017]
   arrow   Collins , Bilic, Carroll & Sakho : Friday's news [21st Apr 2017]
   arrow   In brief - Wednesday's news round-up [19th Apr 2017]
   arrow   No Sakho rift, says Bilic [18th Apr 2017]
   arrow   Sakho , Bilic, Snodgrass & Noble : Saturday's news [15th Apr 2017]
   arrow   Sakho to miss Sunderland test [14th Apr 2017]
   arrow   In brief - Monday's news round-up [3rd Apr 2017]
   arrow   Lanzini, Sakho, Carroll & Noble : Tuesday's news [28th Mar 2017]



Your Comments


Please note that this section is for comments relating to the above news item only. Any off-topic or abusive posts will be removed. Posts including either links and/or foul language are automatically filtered and will not be published. To engage in further discussion on any of our news stories, visit the KUMB Forums.

Not a member of the KUMB Forums? You may register for free membership here.

comments powered by Disqus
 
News Image




On This Day ...

One Year Ago
Noble: I don't want this season to finish
Two-goal hero Mark Noble says he is enjoying every minute of playing for We...more
Three Years Ago
Ravel blasts newspaper 'rubbish', Gold wants Ravel return
David Gold is looking forward to Ravel Morrison's return from his loan spell at Queens Park Rangers ...more
Five Years Ago
Noble named HotY
Mark Noble has been crowned Hammer of the Year at tonight's swanky awards ceremony at the London Hil...more