Text  Larger | Smaller | Default

NewsNow

Re-United, as ban lifted


Filed: Monday, 20th November 2017
By: Staff Writer


A ban issued to a long-standing supporter who was told his season tickets were being cancelled after a flag was draped outside the house of David Sullivan earlier today has been overturned, following the intervention of the co-chairman's son.

This morning an image of the huge claret flag (see below), tied to the gates of the Sullivan residence and calling for the dismissal of vice-chair Karren Brady was posted on social media.



Shortly after, the owner of the flag, who denied being present when the picture was taken received a phone call from a club employee who informed him that both his and his son's season tickets were being withdrawn - and that he would be prohibited from purchasing any more tickets for the next three years.

An ensuing KUMB news story led to a storm of protest via social media this afternoon and shortly before 5pm, the fan received a second phone call from a representative of West Ham United who told him to expect a call from Jack Sullivan, the co-chairman's teenage son.

When the two eventually spoke, Sullivan confirmed that the ban had been withdrawn. "He said his family were not happy with the flag being taken to their home," the supporter told KUMB. "He said the club wanted to activate my season tickets again and that other tickets will also be returned. Not my typical Monday overall, but..."

But the story didn't end there. When a friend of the flag owner's subsequently took to twitter in order to thank Sullivan for intervening, the West Ham Ladies chairman denied that a ban had been in place - insisting instead that it had simply been a "miscommunication".




"So the men that were told over the phone by the club's security they were banned for three years and had all away points removed have had a phone call from @jsullivanwhu tonight," wrote @Baz1980WHU. "Informed them they are not banned now and that points will be reallocated. Credit to you Jack."

To which Sullivan issued an instant denial. "This isn't the case, they were never banned!," he replied. "It was a miscommunication between Greg and a member of stuff, I'm pleased we got to clear it up. Everything will stay the same."

That led the original injured party to return to the KUMB Forum and deny Sullivan's version of events. "The cancellation of my season tickets was a ban," he confirmed. "I was due to get a FULL refund this coming Wednesday. No miscommunication at all."

Today's events follow a nightmare 48 hours for the West Ham Board.

Already under pressure as a result of the luke-warm - at best - response to the appointment of David Moyes, the fans' discontent at their general handling of the club was broadcast worldwide yesterday as anti-Board songs were clearly audible during the team's 2-0 defeat at Watford.


That was followed by news of West Ham-sourced security teams attempting to remove flags carrying anti-Board messages from supporters who travelled to Watford on Sunday. A source has since confirmed to KUMB that the order came directly "from the boardroom".

Moyes, when asked about the fan protests following the Vicarage Road defeat admitted that he had been unaware at the depth of disillusionment felt by many supporters. "I don't know the history and all the reason for it as I'm only just here," he said.

"I have to say also that we need them right now - we need a united club. I know that's hard to say when you have grievances."





Related News

   arrow   Re-United, as ban lifted [20th Nov 2017]
   arrow   In brief - Wednesday's news round-up [11th Oct 2017]
   arrow   Sullivan Jnr fires back - with Ladies invite [9th Oct 2017]
   arrow   Souness blasts 'unacceptable' Sullivans [9th Oct 2017]
   arrow   Three Hammers: Episode 60 [video] [6th Oct 2017]
   arrow   In brief - Friday's news round-up [29th Sep 2017]
   arrow   Ladies looking up [28th Sep 2017]
   arrow   Palace launch 10million Sakho bid [30th Aug 2017]
   arrow   Noble , Moore, Calleri & Sullivan : Thursday's news [13th Apr 2017]
   arrow    Bilic , Cresswell, Feghouli &Lanzini : Wednesday's news [29th Mar 2017]



Your Comments


Please note that this section is for comments relating to the above news item only. Any off-topic or abusive posts will be removed. Posts including either links and/or foul language are automatically filtered and will not be published. To engage in further discussion on any of our news stories, visit the KUMB Forums.

Not a member of the KUMB Forums? You may register for free membership here.

comments powered by Disqus
 
News Image




On This Day ...

One Year Ago
Pride and positivity
Co-chairman David Sullivan say that West Ham managed to restore their pride...more
Three Years Ago
Sunderland vs West Ham Utd: live
West Ham have an opportunity to return to the Premier League's top three today when they face Sunder...more
Five Years Ago
Benayoun back at Chelsea
Yossi Benayoun has been ruled out of West Ham United's trip to the Hawthorns this weekend....more