Text  Larger | Smaller | Default

NewsNow

Sporting wanted €25m for Carvalho - so we offered 20


Filed: Friday, 8th December 2017
By: Staff Writer


David Sullivan has been speaking about the botched move to sign Sporting midfielder William Carvalho.

Sullivan was talking to The Guardian's Jacob Steinberg in the same week that the Board confirmed they would not be following through with a threat to sue Sporting - and claimed that he thought a deal had been done, before the Portuguese moved the goalposts.

Embed from Getty Images


"We’re not liars and we did make an offer," he insisted, in response to Sporting director Nuno Saraiva's September charge.

"The manager came to me and said he had an agent working on this who assures me if we give the player 70 or 80 grand a week and pay €25m to Sporting Lisbon, they will take the deal. I’ve gone in with a €20m offer. They said no.

"I told Slaven that I was going back in with €25m. They said 'we want €35m guaranteed plus another €15m of achievable add-ons'. I told Slaven that all we had was €25m and even that’s a stretch.

"I did what Slaven wanted and his agent couldn’t deliver. If he had said at the start it was €35m plus €15m of achievable add-ons, I would have said that I couldn’t do it."

Whilst the co-chairman steadfastly refused to accept any responsibility for the Carvalho saga, he admitted that certain mistakes had been made with the club's transfer policy since moving to Stratford in the summer of 2016 - on Slaven Bilic's watch.

Embed from Getty Images


"I feel I haven’t done well enough," he said. "Nobody’s done well enough. I work my socks off, but sometimes it’s not good enough. "Tony [Henry] is frustrated because we’ve signed who the manager wants. We’ve put names up to the manager and he’s said he won’t take a chance on people straight from South America.

"In the first year [of Bilic's tenure] I was more involved and the next two years I was less involved. We’ve let the manager pick who he wants. He had a policy of wanting older, proven Premier League players. That gives you an old squad and players who you’ve seen the best of.

"Maybe going forward we won’t. We have to take a look at the age of the players we’re signing. We will have to bring in two or three in January. They won’t be old journeymen, they will be young players. They won’t be 32."

And according to Sullivan, that could be with the assistance of a recognised Director of Football, which many fans have been requesting for some considerable time. "There’s one very good one in the Premier League," he added.

"I would seriously think about taking him on in due course and I know he would come because he’s approached me."

* You may read the interview with Sullivan in full on The Guardian's website.





Related News

   arrow   Top ten a pipe dream under current regime? [25th Apr 2018]
   arrow   DoF capped? [19th Apr 2018]
   arrow   In brief - Tuesday's news round-up [17th Apr 2018]
   arrow   Show us the evidence [16th Apr 2018]
   arrow   West Ham demand £12million for loan star [16th Apr 2018]
   arrow   Fans take to the streets for anti-Board demos [31st Mar 2018]
   arrow   The fans must be heard, says Dicks [29th Mar 2018]
   arrow   Additional police to cover protests [29th Mar 2018]
   arrow   In brief - Thursday's news round-up [29th Mar 2018]
   arrow   In brief - Wednesday's news round-up [28th Mar 2018]



Your Comments


Please note that this section is for comments relating to the above news item only. Any off-topic or abusive posts will be removed. Posts including either links and/or foul language are automatically filtered and will not be published. To engage in further discussion on any of our news stories, visit the KUMB Forums.

Not a member of the KUMB Forums? You may register for free membership here.

comments powered by Disqus
 
News Image




On This Day ...

One Year Ago
Breaking: Olympic Stadium raided
HMRC investigators have raided the Olympic Stadium in connection with an in...more
Three Years Ago
Allardyce, Brady, Ramsey and Burke: Monday news
Get the very latest West Ham news in one place, with our new daily media round-up! ...more
Five Years Ago
Is this the end of the road for Hearn?
Barry Hearn's challenge over the Olympic Stadium appears to be dead in the water after he was told t...more