Text  Larger | Smaller | Default

NewsNow

No special treatment for Rice, insists Moyes


Filed: Friday, 27th April 2018
By: Staff Writer


David Moyes has defended his decision to publicly criticise teenager Declan Rice following his error in the 4-1 defeat at Arsenal last weekend.

The 19-year-old rookie, making only his 22nd Premier League appearance was castigated by the Scottish boss for failing to deal with a cross that led to the Gunners' second goal.

And despite the vast majority of supporters having subsequently accused Moyes of unfairly criticising the new Irish international, the manager insists that he was right to highlight the youngster's error - and, apparently, earlier faults too.

Embed from Getty Images


"I thought we had done a good job last weekend against Arsenal," he told the Evening Standard.

"That changed in the last eight minutes. Young Declan Rice has done great for us, but I donít think we can hide the fact that he should have just headed the ball away for their second goal. Thatís football.

"If it was any player, I would have said the same thing. It doesnít matter whether youíre 19 or 29, the message has to be the same. Of course, we understand heís a young, developing player, but you cannot hide the facts and that was a poor decision he made.

"Declan knows what he did and heís had one or two incidents this season. To be fair, though, his form in general has been very good, heís steadied down so we hope it is a blip and that he wonít make a similar mistake again.

"The truth is there are very few 19-year-old central defenders in the Premier League - if any. One of the reasons is should a young defender make a mistake and it costs the team, it costs the manager as well - and, ultimately, points."

Rice was introduced to the first team earlier in the season following lengthy injuries to established first team defenders Winston Reid and Angelo Ogbonna. Meanwhile the Board also sold established central defender Jose Fonte to Dalian Yifang for £5million in February.





Related News

   arrow   What now for Jordan? [28th May 2019]
   arrow   Relegated! West Ham's owners in bottom three [24th May 2019]
   arrow   Nasri given clean bill of health  [10th May 2019]
   arrow   £20million per point [25th Apr 2019]
   arrow   Down with the Christmas decorations [3rd Apr 2019]
   arrow   In brief - Tuesday's news round-up [26th Mar 2019]
   arrow   West Ham seeking £10million for Hugill [25th Mar 2019]
   arrow   In brief - Tuesday's news round-up [19th Mar 2019]
   arrow   In brief - Monday's news round-up [18th Mar 2019]
   arrow   Pellegrini unable to explain consecutive defeats [30th Jan 2019]



Your Comments


Please note that this section is for comments relating to the above news item only. Any off-topic or abusive posts will be removed. Posts including either links and/or foul language are automatically filtered and will not be published. To engage in further discussion on any of our news stories, visit the KUMB Forums.

Not a member of the KUMB Forums? You may register for free membership here.

comments powered by Disqus
 
News Image




On This Day ...

One Year Ago
Pellegrini looking to youth
Manuel Pellegrini has revealed that he is hoping to bring more players thro...more
Three Years Ago
West Ham linked with Euro 16 star
West Ham are being linked with a move for Romania's Euro 16 star Gabriel Torje....more
Five Years Ago
Cheikhou Kouyate completes West Ham move
West Ham have completed the Ä9million signing of Anderlecht defender Cheikhou Kouyate....more