Text  Larger | Smaller | Default

NewsNow

Hackney site closed by lethal odour


Filed: Tuesday, 16th October 2018
By: Staff Writer


Works on a site close to the Olympic Stadium have been halted after local residents complained of an "horrendous" smell emanating from the area.

The Hackney Wick site, which is under the jurisdiction of Telford Homes and neighbours the Olympic Park has temporarily ceased operations after residents and students in the immediate area complained of headaches and nausea.



According to Hackney Council the vile odour - which began last month - was caused by "hydrocarbon contamination" which includes benzene and naphthalene, both of which can cause cancer in humans.

The Council told the BBC that they are "very concerned" about the odour and confirmed that it has informed the London Legacy Development Corporation to seek advice from Public Health England.

However the LLDC insists that there is no health risk, even though they have advised Telford Homes to stop works until the issue has been satisfactorily resolved.

"While there is no threat to public health, we do appreciate local people's concerns," said a spokesman. "We are reviewing the developer's revised plans to manage the site works and work to remove the contaminated materials can only begin once those plans have been approved."

Meanwhile Peter Hughes, principal of a local school expressed his concern with regards to the health of his pupils. "The smell was horrendous and children were starting to feel sick," he said. "The conversation we had with Telford Homes was: 'Is it going to stop or do we have to shut the school?'

"Young lungs are very different to older lungs with less resistance, so we need to know that any future works if they are to continue are going to be carried out in a safe way."

Concerns regarding the amount of radioactive waste dumped on the site of the Olympic Park have been ongoing since it was revealed that the Olympic Stadium had been built on a former toxic waste dump.

* West Ham vice chair Karren Brady will meet the London Assembly Budget Monitoring Sub-Committee tomorrow in order to discuss the Olympic legacy.





Related News

   arrow   Arnautovic is Austria-bound [12th Jan 2019]
   arrow   Emery prepared for 'difficult' challenge [10th Jan 2019]
   arrow   Agent's influence under scrutiny [8th Jan 2019]
   arrow   West Ham Utd 2-2 Brighton & Hove Albion [2nd Jan 2019]
   arrow   Post-match press conference: Manuel Pellegrini v Watford [audio] [23rd Dec 2018]
   arrow   Fans narrowly escape injury in OS accident [22nd Dec 2018]
   arrow   West Ham Utd 0-2 Watford [22nd Dec 2018]
   arrow   Brady lashes out, again [22nd Dec 2018]
   arrow   West Ham granted safety certificate [21st Dec 2018]
   arrow   66,000 by next season [12th Dec 2018]



Your Comments


Please note that this section is for comments relating to the above news item only. Any off-topic or abusive posts will be removed. Posts including either links and/or foul language are automatically filtered and will not be published. To engage in further discussion on any of our news stories, visit the KUMB Forums.

Not a member of the KUMB Forums? You may register for free membership here.

comments powered by Disqus
 
News Image




On This Day ...

One Year Ago
Post-match press conference: Eddie Howe v West Ham Utd [video]
Eddie Howe blamed his Bournemouth team for 'a lack of concentration' after ...more
Three Years Ago
Zarate set for Serie A move
Mauro Zarate is poised to complete a move to Italy's Serie A later this week, KUMB understands....more
Five Years Ago
Allardyce frustrated by 'Mad January'
Sam Allardyce wore the expression of a troubled man as he faced a grilling over West Ham's transfer ...more