Text  Larger | Smaller | Default

NewsNow

McCarthy expected Rice decision


Filed: Wednesday, 27th February 2019
By: Staff Writer


Republic of Ireland manager Mick McCarthy says he knew that Declan Rice was going to declare allegiance to England.

The 60-year-old was re-appointed as the Irish national manger last November, some 17 years after he last held the post.

Embed from Getty Images


Previously McCarthy had stated that he intended to build a team around West Ham's 20-year-old midfielder, having seen him feature under previous manager Martin O'Neill.

However having been snubbed by Rice earlier this month, McCarthy admits that he feared the worst the longer the situation dragged on.

"I didn't think for one minute he was going to join us," he said. "I was hopeful. Was I optimistic? No.

"If he wanted to stay, all he had to say was 'yes it's no problem'. The longer it went on I was confident in my own head that he wasn't coming.

"Now, I don't have to talk about him anymore. Good luck to him, he's got his own career to look after now and I've got mine."

Embed from Getty Images


Rice, who previously represented the Republic in friendlies but never in a competitive match, admitted that the decision was the toughest he'd had to make during his short career.

"This has been an extremely difficult decision and, in all honesty, not one I ever expected to be making at this stage of my career," he said.

"I have equal respect and love for both England and Ireland and therefore the national team I choose to represent is not a clear cut, simple selection.

"Ultimately, it is a personal decision that I have made with my heart and my head, based on what I believe is best for my future."





Related News

   arrow   In brief - Wednesday's news round-up [20th Mar 2019]
   arrow   In brief - Friday's news round-up [15th Mar 2019]
   arrow   International duties for young Hammers [14th Mar 2019]
   arrow   In brief - Thursday's news round-up [14th Mar 2019]
   arrow   Rice named in England squad [13th Mar 2019]
   arrow   In brief - Wednesday's news round-up [13th Mar 2019]
   arrow   In brief - Monday's news round-up [11th Mar 2019]
   arrow   In brief - Wednesday's news round-up [6th Mar 2019]
   arrow   Rice decision ratified [5th Mar 2019]
   arrow   In brief - Tuesday's news round-up [5th Mar 2019]



Your Comments


Please note that this section is for comments relating to the above news item only. Any off-topic or abusive posts will be removed. Posts including either links and/or foul language are automatically filtered and will not be published. To engage in further discussion on any of our news stories, visit the KUMB Forums.

Not a member of the KUMB Forums? You may register for free membership here.

comments powered by Disqus
 
News Image




On This Day ...

One Year Ago
Mario bid rejected
West Ham have seen an opening offer for Inter midfielder Joao Mario rejecte...more
Three Years Ago
Di Canio, Lanzini, Sullivan & Payet: Tuesday's news
Get the very latest West Ham news in one place, with our new daily media round-up! ...more
Five Years Ago
Sunny side up
West Ham look set to play Liverpool in a glamorous post-season fixture in Mauritius, according to re...more