WHUFC - 100 Greatest Moments: #90-81

Back in 2004, readers of KUMB.com voted for their greatest West Ham moments. With seven years having passed since - during which we've witnessed a number of memorable occasions, matches and goals - we decided to revisit the list in order to include some of these more recent events.

We'll be bringing you the full top 100 over the course of the next two weeks; now here's part two of our countdown - entries 90 to 81...

Decribed by one journalist as a 'meaningless end of season game', this one was anything but. Despite having been the better side, with the game entering the final minute of normal time Glenn Roeder's Hammers found themselves a goal behind at White Hart Lane due to Teddy Sheringham's 53rd-minute effort. That was until a loose Simon Davies clearance was pounced upon by centre half Pearce, who was hovering around the edge of the penalty box in order to pick up any scraps. Catching it perfectly, Pearce smashed the ball back towards goal - where it found the top corner of Kasey Keller's net. Cue hysteria in the away end.

ball Goal: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sEvg2kgC_eg

Once again we return to White Hart Lane for another triumphant scene. In February 1996 then-West Ham boss Harry Redknapp's so-called 'foreign legion' travelled up the road to face neighbours Spurs in a 1996/97 season mid-table clash. The game was but five minutes old when West Ham found themselves a goal ahead thanks to their prodigious young Portuguese talent (full name Daniel da Cruz Carvalho) who stole in at the far post to score what proved to be the game's only goal. It was this goal that prompted Redknapp to famously remark that "Dani is so good-looking I don't know whether to play him or f*ck him". ..

ball Interview: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h948quY-JdI

West Ham have enjoyed many lively encounters against Arsenal over the years, but this one took some beating. Twelve yellow cards, two reds, three goals and an FA rap for Patrick Vieira who spat at Neil Ruddock made for a real London derby which was won by a thing of beauty from Paolo Di Canio. The Italian's 29th minute opener had given Harry Redknapp's side the lead but it was his second - 18 minutes from time - that was this game's particular highlight. A long ball from Shaka Hislop found its way to Di Canio on the edge of the Arsenal box, with his back to goal. Shaping to shoot, he left Martin Keown for dead with a dropped shoulder and a deft flick of the left foot before placing the ball into the top right corner of David Seaman's goal.

ball Goal: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJRRCJMYgHc

Billy Bonds hadn't enjoyed the best of starts to his new job, although his team still went into this game in eighth spot in Division Two despite having lost two of their previous three games. However it was to be a night of joy for the sparse 21,000 crowd - who also got to see West Ham score a quite wonderful and unique goal. With West Ham already 1-0 up, Phil Parkes' long punt was nodded on to Stuart Slater. The youngster chested the ball down before firing a fierce volley over the head of a helpless Carter in the Sunderland goal. In many ways it was similar to the strike you placed at number 88 in this list - yet the fact that it hit the net having not touched the ground made it just a little bit more special.

ball Goal: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6p_tdgm4MM

Like buses, none come for ages - then you get two at once. It was a good twelve years after Slater's stunning effort that Trevor Sinclair performed a similar feat in a Boxing Day clash against Derby but it was no less stunning. With Glenn Roeder's West Ham already two goals to the good (through Schemmel and Di Canio) the Italian lifted a corner towards Joe Cole on the corner of the penalty box. Cole brought it under control before firing a deft chip towards the back post. Sinclair, on the backfoot adjusted his feet before firing an unstoppable scissor kick into Mart Poom's far corner to make it three-nothing. A teenage Defoe's 90th minute goal made it 4-0 to West Ham; a cracking Christmas treat for all watching Hammers.

ball Goal: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtRjeBIQ568

John Lyall's side had enjoyed a fantastic start to the 1983/84 Canon League Division One campaign. Having won their opening four games of the season - including victories against Tottenham and Everton - they went into this one top of the league. However visitors Coventry City, managed by former Hammer Bobby Gould were also unbeaten - and when they soared into a 2-0 lead inside 15 minutes West Ham's unbeaten record looked like being undone.

That was until an amazing six minutes of football, that began a minute ahead of the half-hour mark when big striker Dave Swindlehurst gave the Hammers a lifeline. Straight from the re-start, Steve Whitton levelled the scores before Swindlehurst popped up again on 35 minutes to send the Hammers into the break 3-2 ahead. Two more goals in the second half (Whitton and Swindlehurst again) cemented West Ham's place at the top of the football pyramid.

As the 1996/97 season entered February, the Irons were in deep trouble at the wrong end of the FA Carling Premiership. Harry Redknapp realised that without the necessary firepower his team were heading for the drop and so he made an impassioned plea to the board to release funds. They did that to the tune of ?6million which allowed Redknapp to bring in two strikers - John Hartson from Arsenal and Paul Kitson from Newcastle. Despite failing to score on their (joint) debut - a 1-0 defeat at Derby - they both scored in the next match, an incredible 4--3 win over Spurs played in gale force conditions. Between them the pair went on to hit a combined 13 goals fron 25 appearances to save the club from relegation.

ball Match: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GIq-_ISuAQ

For the second time in 11 years the Hammers - this time under the guidance of John Lyall - had fought and battled their way to the Final of the Cup Winners Cup. But whereas in 1965 West Ham had home advantage with the match staged at Wembley, this time it was opponents Anderlecht with the upper hand as the final was held at Belgium's Heysel Stadium.

In front of a partisan 58,000 crowd - that included several-thousand Hammers who had made the short ferry trip - United took the lead through Patsy Holland. Having fallen 2-1 behind Keith Robson drew West Ham level before man of the match Robbie Rensenbrink made it 3-2 from the penalty spot. Frankie van der Elst - who signed for the Hammers six years later - ended the game as a contest with a fourth goal five minutes from time. Still, most agreed that it had been a fantastic adventure following trips to Finland, the USSR, Holland and Germany - even though the journey ended on a sour note, hence it's lowly position in this list.

ball Match, full (non-English commentary): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xOoZO89zctA

West Ham enjoyed a good year in the domestic cup competitions in the 1999/2000 season reaching the quarter finals of both competitions. They were to win this last eight encounter too, only to be forced to reply the match after it was revealed substitute Manny Omoyinmi - who played the final eight minutes of extra time as a late sub - had played in an earlier round of the competition for Gillingham, with whom he spent time on loan. However the intial tie had been a real humdinger, with a strong Villa side taking the lead twice before being pegged back by goals from Lampard and Di Canio, the latter in the 90th minute from the penalty spot after Paul Kitson fell over in the box. Extra time failed to find a winner and thus the game went to penalties.

At the time it was only three years since Gareth Southgate's penalty had put England out of the Euro '96; with that still fresh in minds the announcement of Southgate's name was hilariously received by thunderous applause and mocking cheers from the home fans. A clearly flustered Southgate duly missed his kick - as everyone knew he would - and West Ham were through to the semi finals of the Worthington Cup. Except they weren't, as Villa predictably won the re-staged match.

ball KUMB Reaction: http://www.kumb.com/article.php?id=80

Despite having played in two Cup Winners Cup finals, West Ham had never qualified for the UEFA Cup prior to 1999. When Harry Redknapp's side lost the first (home) leg of the Intertoto Cup Final (the preliminary stage of the UEFA Cup) 1-0 to Metz that record looked like being maintained - until a shock 3-1 second leg win in France sent the Hammers through to the first round proper for the first time in our history - and into Europe for the first time in 23 years.

The opponents for the Boleyn Ground's first ever UEFA Cup tie were Croatian outfit Osijek - and the Hammers didn't disappoint as they ran out 3-0 winners through goals from Wanchope, Di Canio and Lampard. A 3-1 success in Croatia put the Irons through to round two - where they were promptly sent packing by Romanian side Steaua Bucharest (0-2 on aggregate).

ball Highlights v Metz: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KA4EDGG95mM

<< Previous: 100-91 | Next: 80-71 70-61 60-51 50-41 40-31 30-21 20-11 10-1 >>

* Like to share your thoughts on this article? Please visit the KUMB Forum to leave a comment.

More Opinion