Text  Larger | Smaller | Default

Bid for Gomez rejected as West Ham Look to Improve Squad


Filed: Monday, 24th June 2019
By: Staff Writer #3


West Ham has had a £25M bid for Maxi Gomez rejected by his current club of Celta Vigo bets.co.za reports today.

It is understood that Gomez is instead looking to move to Valencia. However, West Ham isnít giving up just yet. It is understood that the player has a £43M release clause in his contract and that is what is causing the difficulties with the deal, but there are options as West Ham decide whether to improve their bid or not.

Instead, they have been offered the Spanish striker, Moron, who has been put up for offer by Real Betis for £35M. Moron was on West Hamís radar last summer as a potential signing, but instead, he rejected thoughts of moving and decided to stay at Betis. Now the star is looking to move again, and Sheffield Wednesday are thought to also be interested in the player, so it remains to be seen whether he will move to either club.

A couple of Spanish clubs are also monitoring Moron, and could potentially be interested in keeping the player in Spain. Moron was a key player for Betis having scored some thirteen goals in forty-three games for the team in LaLiga, though he is under contract to Betis for another three years, he could still look to be moving.

West Ham is keen to find a new striker for their squad after having lost players Lucas Perez and Andy Carroll over the summer already. Though the Hammer boss, Manuel Pellegrini, has insisted that Gomez remains his highest priority, if Celta Vigo continues to play hardball with them, then he may well look elsewhere.

Gomez is currently playing for his native National Squad of Uruguay in the Copa America at the moment, and so is away from the drama. But while it is known that the two clubs are happy in principle to make the trade, there is a significant disparity in their prices at present, which is causing the tension.

Celta is said to be holding out for the full £43M of his release clause, which is something that West Ham donít want to pay. Valencia is said to be offering instead, a player plus cash deal and hoping to send player Santi Mina back the other way, but so far nothing has been agreed by either club.

West Ham recently signed player Pablo Fornals from Villarreal last week for £25M as another striker to add to their mix. This signing means that the Hammers squad for next season is already valued at more than it was last year, though so far by not much. This last signing has only improved the total squad value by approximately £4M. This is down to the fact that they have also released a number of players since last year. The figures are also somewhat distorted by the fact that last year, they had players Joao Mario at £30M and Joe Hart at £13M on their books, despite the fact that both players were only on loan.


Please note that the opinions expressed in this article are those of the author and do not necessarily represent the views of, nor should be attributed to, KUMB.com.







Your Comments


comments powered by Disqus