what pub have you been in today ? Rate it out of 10

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: Rio, Gnome, chalks, -DL-, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo

Re: what pub have you been in today ? Rate it out of 10

Postby mushy on Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:32 pm

WHU Independent wrote:
The Star of the East in Commercial Road has reopened (You may wish to note Mushy). One of the roughest and toughest pubs in the East end, it closed down but it has now been refurbished and revamped and looks great from the outside. Large ceilings, massive glass windows and a bare wood and copper type fittings give this pub a real open and airy feel. I report back once I've been there.

I must have missed this but strangely enough I was there yesterday lunchtime, ( not actually inside ) I was walking past and had a good look through the window and it seemed surprisingly busy for a lunchtime -especially with the laptop/Ipad set. I will have a beer in there soon.
I also walked by The Westbury (ex Oporto), I wondered what it was like but have read some pretty poor online reviews.
The Alfred Hitchcock Leytonstone E11
I normally pop in here about once a week. The beer is good, real ales, craft pale ales and good selection of Lagers. The food is excellent and great value. They actually do a 44oz steak here though have never tried it myself. Can recommend the ribs,and the salads are good as well for vegetarians.
Only downside with this place are the toilets, they are a bit of a walk away and downstairs and not in great condition, although it appears they are currently being renovated.
8/10 for me.
Excellent quiz on a Tuesday as well.
mushy

Postby The Collector on Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:59 pm

Popped into the Princess Louise on the way back from Olympia today. I have not been in here for ages and it remains a lovely pub. I have only ever drunk OBB in Sam Smith’s pubs and saw no reason to change today. £3.50 a pint is good value for this close to Covent Garden and Bloomsbury.

It was quite empty and I sat and read my newspaper without anyone trying to talk to me. So, perfect.

As usual tourists came in and the barman would offer them a sample from various taps as they stood there mystified with the selection. Nice touch, but with only one bar staff working I can see this being very frustrating for drinkers who know what they want.

10/10 for the venue, 8/10 for the beer but 2/10 for the lack of bar staff.
The Collector

Postby WHU Independent on Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:52 pm

hawkins_hammer wrote:Was Star of the East busy WHU Independent?

Yes HH, it was.

It's a bigish boozer, we got there near closing time and it was still busy with 20+ people inside. No one upstairs though.

Mushy - if you fancy a few pints in Limehouse and want a bit of company, let me know!
WHU Independent

Postby bubbles1966 on Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:03 am

The Elgin on Ladbroke Grove yesterday.

Busy, a bit pricey, staff not the greatest but nice feel to it generally. It appeared to be a bit of a babe magnet as well.

The place used to have a very dodgy reputation back in the 1980s, if memory serves. Always preferred the Lonsdale back in them days.
bubbles1966

Postby the pink palermo on Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:58 pm

Brewery Tap, Brentwood.

Reopened ysterday following a spot of regime change and a lick of paint.

It's been converted in to a "craft union" pub, basically Wetherspoons with sports on TV, the prices are significantly lower than previously ( to be fair to the previous landlord the pub owners charged him much higher prices for the beer, plus rent), but no proper beer on tap anymore.

If you can stomach John Smiths it £1.90, Fosters at £2.80 and wifebeater at £3.30

Not as good as it used to be but much, much cheaper.You pays your money....
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

Postby sendô on Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:17 pm

the pink palermo wrote:If you can stomach John Smiths it £1.90, Fosters at £2.80 and wifebeater at £3.30

Bugger me, I'd drink in a damp alleyway at those prices.
sendô

Postby Rio on Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:32 pm

Had a couple of days away in Southwold. So did The Crown, Red Lion, Lord Nelson, Sole Bay Inn, Harbour Inn in Southwold itself, as well as The Bell Inn and Anchor in Walberswick. I'm praying for a lottery win so I can retire that way
Rio
Ronnie Biggs was here

Postby Estuary on Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:14 pm

Rio wrote:Had a couple of days away in Southwold. So did The Crown, Red Lion, Lord Nelson, Sole Bay Inn, Harbour Inn in Southwold itself, as well as The Bell Inn and Anchor in Walberswick. I'm praying for a lottery win so I can retire that way

Southwold, its so snobby there that when you meet a local they don't ask you your name they ask "who is your publisher?"
Nice beer though.
Estuary

Postby Billy Hunt on Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:16 am

Estuary wrote:Southwold, its so snobby there that when you meet a local they don't ask you your name they ask "who is your publisher?"
Nice beer though.

Agree, ridiculously snobby place that seemed to be full of characters from a Harry Enfield sketch. It was the middle of winter and as I didn't have a wax jacket or anything in tweed I stuck out like a sore thumb.

We stayed at the Crown for a couple of nights and we did the gin making thing at Adnams which was a great day.

But yeh, nice beer :thup:
Billy Hunt

Postby Rio on Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:18 pm

Billy Hunt wrote:Agree, ridiculously snobby place that seemed to be full of characters from a Harry Enfield sketch. It was the middle of winter and as I didn't have a wax jacket or anything in tweed I stuck out like a sore thumb.

We stayed at the Crown for a couple of nights and we did the gin making thing at Adnams which was a great day.

But yeh, nice beer :thup:

You should have tried being me. Tattoos, West Ham shirt and denim shorts. People we're choking on their latte's

We stayed at the Crown as well. Great place. Great beer.
Rio
Ronnie Biggs was here

Postby Billy Hunt on Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:54 pm

Rio wrote:
You should have tried being me. Tattoos, West Ham shirt and denim shorts. People we're choking on their latte's

We stayed at the Crown as well. Great place. Great beer.

Brilliant, can imagine the looks!

The Crown... great beer, great breakfasts, decent rooms, lovely little snug bar at the back. Was never able to walk up to the room by the same staircase/route as I went down :?
Billy Hunt

Postby Pop Robson on Sat Jul 13, 2019 1:50 pm

the pink palermo wrote:Brewery Tap, Brentwood.

Reopened ysterday following a spot of regime change and a lick of paint.

It's been converted in to a "craft union" pub, basically Wetherspoons with sports on TV, the prices are significantly lower than previously ( to be fair to the previous landlord the pub owners charged him much higher prices for the beer, plus rent), but no proper beer on tap anymore.

If you can stomach John Smiths it £1.90, Fosters at £2.80 and wifebeater at £3.30

Not as good as it used to be but much, much cheaper.You pays your money....

Well it's nice to hear its reopend but I won't be visiting, no proper ALE !!!

What with the Swan being closed by the police, the Spread having no ale and the rising damp with it's problems, Brentwood ain't the same anymore
Pop Robson

Postby FreeWheeling on Sat Jul 13, 2019 2:07 pm

Sat in the George and Dragon as we speak, in Salisbury overlooking the river, I have now made this my local
FreeWheeling

Postby Monkeybubbles on Thu Jul 18, 2019 8:17 pm

Monkeybubbles

Postby sendô on Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:30 pm

Trouble with that map, is it's not so much showing the cheapest pubs, but the cheapest pish each pub sells.
sendô

Postby HitzlspergersBurgers on Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:26 pm

sendô wrote:Trouble with that map, is it's not so much showing the cheapest pubs, but the cheapest pish each pub sells.

One on there was over £4.50 for a pint of Greene King IPA!
HitzlspergersBurgers

Postby woodgreenspur on Fri Jul 19, 2019 6:53 pm

Monkeybubbles wrote:Map showing the cheapest pint near every tube:

Better version here:

https://www.timeout.com/london/news/this-map-shows-the-cheapest-pint-near-every-single-tube-station-071719?

Its wrong!
A pint of Springfield in the Springfield at Bounds Green is only £3.05, 40p cheaper than the speckled Hen.
woodgreenspur

Postby westham,eggyandchips on Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:17 pm

Rio wrote:Had a couple of days away in Southwold. So did The Crown, Red Lion, Lord Nelson, Sole Bay Inn, Harbour Inn in Southwold itself, as well as The Bell Inn and Anchor in Walberswick. I'm praying for a lottery win so I can retire that way

Love Southwold. Like visiting in the autumn best. Less snobby IMO.
westham,eggyandchips

Postby Wembley1966 on Fri Jul 19, 2019 7:52 pm

My favourites I've reviewed in this thread are the Lord Nelson and The Bell. I do drink in most of them when I go there a few times a year and I'm back next month!
Wembley1966

Postby sendô on Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:55 am

The Alchemist in Bevis Marks. Less a pub, more a la-de-da cocktail bar, but the cocktails were many, varied, entertaining to watching being made and very alcoholic. Not bloody cheap, mind, but she-who-must-be-obeyed was quite specific that she did not want to go to a "pub" and drink "beer".

It's been a while since I've drunk that much rum in one sitting.
sendô

PreviousNext

Return to The Snug