Extended Manufacturers Warranty on Car

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: Rio, Gnome, chalks, -DL-, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo

Extended Manufacturers Warranty on Car

Postby -DL- on Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:04 pm

My local, friendly Honda dealer has emailed me with an offer of a years extended manufacturers warranty on my car. My standard warranty runs out on 26th September when the car hits 3 years old.

Apparantly, they claim it's just like the 3 year warranty, no quibble. It also comes with a years Hondacare Assistance - full AA breakdown cover, which includes at home, etc, European cover, and accident recovery.

All for £250, over 10 interest free instalments.

Sounds too good to be true, and the old saying is, if it sounds too good to be true, it usually is.

I replied to it asking what's the catch, and they say there is none - it's a special offer, usual price £399.

Anyone got experience of manufacturers extended warranty? Are they worth it? Looked on The AA, and their top policy is a shade under 200 quid :shock:
-DL-
Match thread guru

Re: Extended Manufacturers Warranty on Car

Postby The Old Man of Storr on Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:44 pm

I guess you can always ask them to put into writing what exactly is covered then run to give them the 250 squideroos - AA and RAC breakdown cover alone is almost that per annum .
The Old Man of Storr

Postby DasNutNock on Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:52 pm

I’d bite their hand off, mate. If it was a third party warranty, I’d think twice but if it’s the full manufacturer monty, you’d be nuts not to take it at that price.
DasNutNock

Postby Mega Ron on Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:01 pm

I wouldn't bother.

You'll most likely see the year out having not used it.
Mega Ron

Postby Hammer1972 on Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:04 pm

DasNutNock wrote:I’d bite their hand off, mate.

Mega Ron wrote:I wouldn't bother.

Hopefully that's helped.
Hammer1972

Postby woodgreenspur on Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:27 pm

Not sure cars are the same,but with electrical goods extended warranties are a con.Or so they say.
We did a course on it at work. Argos/currys etc make as much out of them as they do selling electrical goods.
Companies have a obligation,that their good last a certain amount of time.
woodgreenspur

Postby -DL- on Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:40 pm

Mega Ron wrote:I wouldn't bother.

You'll most likely see the year out having not used it.

Yes, but my luck is, if I don't buy it, I'll need recovery, and then I'll have to pay to get whatever caused the recovery to be fixed....

If I was just to buy recovery (I've looked on AA), I'd be looking at around £200 quid anyway. For an extra 50, it kind of seems daft not to for the sake of a fiver a month - because even just one claim is going to outweigh the cost anyway.

Don't have to worry about servicing as I got a 5 year plan chucked in when I bought it, so I am veering towards just getting it.

woodgreenspur wrote:Not sure cars are the same,but with electrical goods extended warranties are a con.

I've never bought one of those. But then, repairing a washing machine wouldn't cost a bucket load compared to if something went wrong on my motor.

Just seen how much a replacement battery would cost - £269 quid :shock:
-DL-
Match thread guru

Postby DasNutNock on Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:04 pm

There’s a reason why German cars come with a 3 year warranty.
DasNutNock

Postby -DL- on Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:06 pm

DasNutNock wrote:There’s a reason why German cars come with a 3 year warranty.

Which is?

I'm quite surprised actually that Honda 'only' offer a 3 yr warranty as standard tbf.
-DL-
Match thread guru

Postby DasNutNock on Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:13 pm

Hang on, sorry, I read that as a 3 year extension for £250. A 1 year extension is a bit different, but if you were looking at recovery anyway, it’s still worth considering.

The reason the Germans hand out 3 year warranties is because they can. If your 37 month old 5 series develops an expensive fault, you’re not taking it to the independent bloke down the road, you’re taking it back to BMW, who will happily empty your wallet for you. The Koreans may hand out 5-7 year warranties because they want your business, but it’s got to be the norm sooner rather than later.

And I’m surprised Honda only give you 3 years, though like the Germans, they’re able to trade on their reputation (deservedly, in Honda’s case, questionably for the Germans) for reliability.
DasNutNock

Postby westham,eggyandchips on Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:00 am

If it was £250 for an additional 3yrs, I'd say do it. But 1yr, nah.

Save your £250 DL.
westham,eggyandchips

Postby sendô on Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:54 am

-DL- wrote:Sounds too good to be true, and the old saying is, if it sounds too good to be true, it usually is.

There's a reason why so many manufacturers and sellers of all different types of equipment are always so keen to sell extended warranties - it's money for old rope.

Either you're paying extra money in case something goes wrong on a machine that's unlikely to go wrong in a way that's covered under the warranty, or else you're simply paying towards the manufacturer fixing an inherrant problem on their machine.
sendô

Postby -DL- on Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:57 am

I get what people are saying about money for old rope - but it's not like a washing machine where a replacement is the same cost of an extended warranty.

Whatever happens, I'm going to need breakdown and accident cover, which covers me at home and in Europe.

My car insurance with who I'm with is very cheap and doesn't come with it - and even paying out for breakdown cover is still cheaper than the next best quote I could find with breakdown cover included - and that's just basic recovery, doesn't include at home or Europe.

I do 20k miles a year (excluding this last year when I was off sick for almost 8 months), so to have the peace of mind to extend the manufacturers warranty by 12 months and get all the cover I want at the roadside does seem a bit of a no brainer.

I spoke to the woman at the dealer this morning to find out what is covered, and it literally is an extension to the 3 year warranty, with the exception of paint and trim, and break pads, wiper blades etc - but does cover battery, electrics, clutch up to 90k miles, engine and transmission, suspension etc - and if I took it out over 2 years, they offered it to me for 350.

Yes, I get I may not need it - but I'm not in a financial position at the moment to fork out if something did go wrong on the car when the standard warranty expires. As I posted earlier, even a replacement battery for my car is over 200 quid because it's an EFP battery for start-stop.
-DL-
Match thread guru

Postby sendô on Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:03 pm

-DL- wrote:Yes, I get I may not need it - but I'm not in a financial position at the moment to fork out if something did go wrong on the car when the standard warranty expires.

That's different. You're paying £350 for 2 years of peace of mind due to your financial situation. That's worthwhile in my book.

In fact it's the very reason why I'm paying £313 a month to have a new car that I average 4000 miles a year in, when I could probably have got much better value with a second hand car for ~£6000.
sendô

Postby -DL- on Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:43 pm

And just had a fine example as to why Honda dealers always rank high for customer service. Just had the service manager call me and explain it in clear terms to me. They sell the extended warranties at a loss compared to what Honda say they should sell them for.

He said that people generally go to general mechanics for anything that goes wrong outside of the warranty period, the cheapest option - so by selling the warranties at a loss, they then make their money from Honda rather than the customer as they get the work, plus I get the bonus of having genuine parts and Honda trained technicians, rather than a propriety mechanic and patent parts.

Also went on to say that if it fails it's MOT on non-wear and tear parts, like bulbs etc, then they fix it if it's MOT'd by them - which suits me as part of the deal I originally got was free MOTs for life (well, for as long as I own the car).

Apparantly, they decide what's in the remit of the warranty and what isn't, and it isn't worth their while to refuse work.

I've either just fallen for the biggest sales spiel in the world, or the bloke was being genuine.
-DL-
Match thread guru

Postby Mayday on Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:46 pm

Your mistake is coveting the AA and RAC who rely on thier big historical names to fleece thier customers regularly.

There are several companies out there who provide an equal or better service than those two for less than half the price.

Here's a good article:

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-news/ ... cover-2018
Mayday

Postby SammyLeeWasOffside on Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:14 pm

-DL- wrote:Yes, but my luck is, if I don't buy it, I'll need recovery, and then I'll have to pay to get whatever caused the recovery to be fixed....

Looks a good price for peace of mind tbh.

If you are just wanting breakdown cover I got emergency assist premium through a groupon voucher.

Premium package includes: roadside assistance | local recovery | national recovery | home start | onward travel | replacement car hire | overnight accommodation
£24 for the year. Had to use them and they were fantastic. It did go up to £48 2nd year but still cheap as chips.
SammyLeeWasOffside

Postby -DL- on Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:22 pm

^^^^^ what is a ball ache, is that too many 'recovery' services, don't actually cover you if you have an accident. It's breakdown cover.

So if I went cheap and then got hit up the arse, I'd have to pay up front for recovery until insurance refunded me. On top of my excess.

Accident recovery on any breakdown policy is rare as hens teeth.
-DL-
Match thread guru

Postby Estuary on Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:38 pm

That’s a steal DL, most extended warranties are dealer ones, I have driven Range Rovers for years and always buy the extended warranty at the end of the manufacturers as when these things go wrong they cost thousands to put eight. My very first one has problems with the anti- Roll mechanism, seemed straightforward, it cost £7k to fix! My business partners Mrs put petrol
in their diesel RR, again thousands to sort out, but both covered by the warranty.
Your Honda will probably never develop a serious fault that requires a warranty claim, but it could, and for the price of a Chinese take away a month tour sorted. Plus you get the recovery, no brainer to me.
Estuary

Postby Tenbury on Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:54 pm

National Recovery will recover your motor free if your insurance is fully comp.
Tenbury

Next

Return to The Snug