IT clinic

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: Rio, Gnome, chalks, -DL-, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo

IT clinic

Postby bubbles1966 on Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:46 pm

Okay peeps,

Can someone please explain to me why my Wifi connection (BT) on multiple devices (laptops, now TV etc) goes down so frequently when someone comes in my house with an iPhone?

It has been a problem to the point where I could tell if particular people were coming up the drive before they got in the house just by the wifi going on strike.

Aside from blocking wifi access for iphones through the hub manager - any ideas on resolution?
bubbles1966

Re: IT clinic

Postby the pink palermo on Sat Jul 06, 2019 2:53 pm

No idea why Bubbles, but interesting asI recently had a vist from a family with 4 iphones between them and my wifi went down - I had't pinned it on that, but it kind of makes sense .
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

Postby The Old Man of Storr on Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:13 pm

I'll tell you a funny story .

A few weeks' past we had a German couple staying at our Holiday Let - I've connected wifi to a booster in the flat via a cable from my router and given them Sky Tv [ full package ] - one night Jen and I were watching a Canadian Detective series [ BBC4 ] and all of a sudden YouTube comes on in German on OUR tv ???

I sort of guessed what was happening but couldn't believe it possible , they must have connected their phone to the tv provided and it relayed back to our house - I've since changed the Sky Box so hopefully nothing else will happen .
The Old Man of Storr

Postby smuts on Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:57 pm

I'll remember that one if I get caught watching German grot :thup:

"Das ist gud ya?"
smuts

Postby Samba on Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:50 pm

'Canadian Detective series'...yeah right..
'Unt now, ze indoor bedroom gymnastics, from Skye'...
Samba

Postby Samba on Sat Jul 06, 2019 5:54 pm

bubbles1966 wrote:Okay peeps,

Can someone please explain to me why my Wifi connection (BT) on multiple devices (laptops, now TV etc) goes down so frequently when someone comes in my house with an iPhone?

It has been a problem to the point where I could tell if particular people were coming up the drive before they got in the house just by the wifi going on strike.

Aside from blocking wifi access for iphones through the hub manager - any ideas on resolution?

Got to be something to do with the greedy iPhone (all apps on) using up all the bandwidth, shirley?
If you can block them, seems a good idea.
Samba

Postby Hammer1972 on Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:09 pm

What do you actually mean by goes down? The service just slows or cuts out completely.

Next time someone is there with an iPhone, get them to go to flight mode and run a speed test on your network, then get them to turn their phone back on and immediately run the test again.
Hammer1972

Postby bubbles1966 on Sat Jul 06, 2019 6:13 pm

Hammer1972 wrote:What do you actually mean by goes down? The service just slows or cuts out completely.

Next time someone is there with an iPhone, get them to go to flight mode and run a speed test on your network, then get them to turn their phone back on and immediately run the test again.

The service cuts out completely.

If they stop using Wifi and go onto 4G, the service resumes - sometimes after a router reboot, sometimes without.

Without an iphone on we usually have a couple of laptops, a couple of streaming boxes and non-iphone phones connected without hardly any problem.
bubbles1966

Postby FreeWheeling on Sat Jul 06, 2019 7:54 pm

Get their MAC address and block the ***** on the router
Problem solved :thup:
FreeWheeling

Postby DasNutNock on Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:31 pm

I just replaced an iPhone battery. Christ, them screws and connectors and stuff are fiddly.
DasNutNock

Postby Hammer1972 on Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:53 pm

Just to be clear, are they actually using your wifi - or just in your house with an iPhone (ie on 4G) ?
Hammer1972

Postby bubbles1966 on Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:18 pm

Hammer1972 wrote:Just to be clear, are they actually using your wifi - or just in your house with an iPhone (ie on 4G) ?

When they stick to 4G, there's usually no problem.

If they go on wifi (which can be seen on the hub manager - until/before that crashes) off it goes. Always Apple devices.

Disconnect them all via a reboot - and we're up and running again....

There seems to be some kind of compatibility problem.
bubbles1966

Postby DasNutNock on Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:51 pm

Could be a 2.4Ghz/5Ghz issue. Domestic WiFi has dual bands (those two frequencies) that devices can connect to. Phones can connect to either, but a lot of older stuff only connects to 2.4Ghz. I had to configure my router to publish the two frequencies separately, as distinct channels with distinct SSIDs (the name you see when your phone is searching for WiFi signals), previously they were published under a single SSID, allowing the router & device to negotiate and agree which channel to use. It worked a lot better after I did this and mostly used the 5Ghz channel for Apple devices and laptops and stuff, and older kit connected to the 2.4Ghz channel.

My guess is that the iOS devices are saturating the 2.4Ghz channel. If you don’t have a router that supports 5Ghz, or a way of separating the two frequencies, you may have to limit the number of connections or have them disable background data usage etc.
DasNutNock

Return to The Snug