Diet and Fitness

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: Rio, Gnome, chalks, -DL-, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo

Diet and Fitness

Postby V-M on Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:38 am

Just a place to discuss health, fitness, diet and anything associated with a cleaner lifestyle. Please feel free to discuss what works for you (and what doesn't), exercise programs and your own goals/progress.

Personally I am aiming to get down to a weight of around 190-195 lbs (under 14st) although my real target is <20% body fat.

10 weeks ago I decided to change my lifestyle. I was around 18 stone (6 foot 3 inches), drank too much and had an awful diet with no exercise apart from a round or two of golf every week. Since then Ive knocked the alcohol on the head, started cycling to work most days (9 miles round trip), doing some weights at home as well as improving on what I eat.

My body fat percentage (according to the scales) is still 29% (down from 31%) even though I've dropped down to well under 16 stone. I know I've lost a fair bit of muscle (as well as fat) during the last 10 weeks but Im trying to rebuild the muscle with the weight training. I need to target the fat specifically although it seems a very slow process!

I find Creatine is an excellent pre workout supplement and it gives me a definite boost when im training. I also have a protein supplement that I sometimes use in the evening after weights.

Anyone else currently trying to shift some lbs or trying to be healthier in general?
V-M

Re: Diet and Fitness

Postby The Old Man of Storr on Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:00 am

Although Doctors tell me it's only alcohol that affects your pancreas badly ( haven't drunk in 12 years ) I shall be looking into a change of diet very soon .
The Old Man of Storr

Postby chelmsfordhammer91 on Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:04 pm

Knocked drinking on the head two weeks ago (only until the start of August when I'm going on holiday) and trying to cut out snacking etc. To shift a couple of pounds.

I have no real motivation to get 'fit' although I am of average build (6ft 5in, 15st 3lb). But seemed like a decent enough idea at the time to lose half a stone or so before holiday then come back after two weeks all inclusive the same weight I was before.

Hopefully cutting out the booze for 6 weeks should lose me a few pounds, I was drinking around 10-12 pints a week as well as a few gin and tonics (trebles if made at home).
chelmsfordhammer91

Postby DasNutNock on Sun Jul 07, 2019 12:40 pm

I had to knock weight training on the head a few years back because I was constantly getting injured. TBH, I still get injured all the time, but I just don't have the will to train through them when they hurt so badly. I'm at probably 70% of my all-time peak strength across the board, and am probably 4kg heavier than when I was at my fittest & strongest.

In 2017 I ran over 1,000 miles in something like 40 weeks (holidays & new baby got in the way) which wasn't as hard to do as I expected, but it still took me something like 160 individual runs to get there.

Changed jobs in 2018 and have struggled to keep up with those sorts of numbers. I've barely run 200 miles this year, and 500 on the bike, although it looks like I'm on track to match last year's numbers if I keep up this rate for the rest of the year. Not really as good as I'd like, but I'm 44 soon, and I guess those are at least "good enough" in the grand scheme.

Would like to get back to 79Kg or thereabouts, which should be achievable. Probably needs more work on the diet front, mind.

As far as bodyfat is concerned, I got mine down to under 10% in my mid-30s, but it was clear that's not a healthy number for me. You could see the shape of my skull on my face and I didn't have as much energy as I do when it's more like 12-14%. I'd guess I'm around 20% these days, which is probably "acceptable", but I'd like it to be lower. I find it a lot harder to keep my bodyfat down by just running & cycling, weight training had a much bigger impact on my body composition.
DasNutNock

Postby fjthegrey on Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:09 pm

If you want to do strength training, press-ups, situps, dumbbells and most importantly, a pull up bar.

You can do all of it at home, when it's convenient, without having to commit to a gym. I'm in the best shape I've ever been in purely from using these things. Just gotta mix up the variations of each exercise.

Just can't do gyms. The don't work for me. Would never have done any of this type of exercise if I couldn't do it at home.
fjthegrey

Postby Arch Dandy on Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:31 pm

I have to do something about my diet / fitness soon. I have just started a new job and have gone from running 4 times a week to once. It just seems hard at the moment to fit it all in, I leave the house before 7 am and get home at 7 pm. swallow some dinner, put the kids to bed and then I done.
Arch Dandy

Postby V-M on Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:51 pm

I started new job recently as well and whilst its going well the core hours have changed from 8:30- 4:30 and are now 9 - 5:30. I'm finding the extra hour at the end of the day a real bind and its much harder to get motivated to workout in the evening as a result.

I could try and do a session before work but it really doesn't suit me.
V-M

Postby Mega Ron on Sun Jul 07, 2019 4:53 pm

fjthegrey wrote:If you want to do strength training, press-ups, situps, dumbbells and most importantly, a pull up bar.

You can do all of it at home, when it's convenient, without having to commit to a gym. I'm in the best shape I've ever been in purely from using these things. Just gotta mix up the variations of each exercise.

Just can't do gyms. The don't work for me. Would never have done any of this type of exercise if I couldn't do it at home.

I agree dude.

Gyms are the worst. I don't have a pull up bar but I do press ups and sit ups everyday as well as lunges, squats free weights whenever I have a run.

I don't particularly enjoy exercise while I am doing it, but feel great about the effort I've made afterwards.

I often let myself down by eating boxes of Magnums, but on the whole have as healthy a diet as I can.
Mega Ron

Postby fjthegrey on Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:27 pm

I'd love you however you were mate.
fjthegrey

Postby Francoisvander or else on Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:33 pm

Went Vegan 6 weeks ago but only lasted five days :D , but decided to switch to vegetarian and did that for a month. Have started introducing fish into my diet and can honestly say I'm not missing meat at all. I was eating processed meat virtually everyday and feel so much better in myself this last few weeks. Might introduce chicken and steak at some point in the next few weeks but am leaving processed meat behind
Francoisvander or else

Postby r99c on Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:59 pm

V-M wrote:Just a place to discuss health, fitness, diet and anything associated with a cleaner lifestyle. Please feel free to discuss what works for you (and what doesn't), exercise programs and your own goals/progress.

Personally I am aiming to get down to a weight of around 190-195 lbs (under 14st) although my real target is <20% body fat.

10 weeks ago I decided to change my lifestyle. I was around 18 stone (6 foot 3 inches), drank too much and had an awful diet with no exercise apart from a round or two of golf every week. Since then Ive knocked the alcohol on the head, started cycling to work most days (9 miles round trip), doing some weights at home as well as improving on what I eat.

My body fat percentage (according to the scales) is still 29% (down from 31%) even though I've dropped down to well under 16 stone. I know I've lost a fair bit of muscle (as well as fat) during the last 10 weeks but Im trying to rebuild the muscle with the weight training. I need to target the fat specifically although it seems a very slow process!

I find Creatine is an excellent pre workout supplement and it gives me a definite boost when im training. I also have a protein supplement that I sometimes use in the evening after weights.

Anyone else currently trying to shift some lbs or trying to be healthier in general?

Good luck mate.

Regarding your thing about rebuilding the muscle but trying to target fat loss. Unless you're literally new to lifting weights, it will be pretty much impossible to build muscle but lose fat at the same time. Basically, calories consumed > calories burned on the day is a calorie surplus. With a slight surplus you will build muscle but very gradually increase fat too (but remember body composition may still means body fat reduces). Calorie deficit on the other hand is the only way to lose fat, but you won't really be able to build muscle in this state, just maintain it.

Regarding fat loss, it gets lost throughout the body - don't believe all this ''spot reduction'' myths. Like doing crunches will not make you burn fat in abdominal spot.

People saying gyms aren't required are right. Doing cardiovascular stuff outside is more enjoyable anyway and bodyweight stuff at home will keep you in shape, but imo gyms are a must really if you want to pack on some serious muscle.
r99c

Postby V-M on Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:23 pm

Thanks R99C

Ive not done weights in a few years, but did notice from my body composition scales that my muscle mass was reducing as well as my overall fat percentage. I dont really want to lose muscle as I've heard it also helps burn fat. I guess maintaining it will do for now and hopefully the fat percentage will continue to drop.

Fully aware that you cant spot reduce :thup:
V-M

Postby r99c on Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:33 pm

V-M wrote:Thanks R99C

Ive not done weights in a few years, but did notice from my body composition scales that my muscle mass was reducing as well as my overall fat percentage. I dont really want to lose muscle as I've heard it also helps burn fat. I guess maintaining it will do for now and hopefully the fat percentage will continue to drop.

Fully aware that you cant spot reduce :thup:

The muscle = helps burn fat is kind of true... it's that more muscles need more energy/oxygen, essentially someone with more muscle mass therefore will have a higher metabolism and higher weight so all in all their basal metabolic rate will be higher, so it will be easier to not put on fat... that said if they are in a caloric surplus then it won't work. 29% bf at 6'3" wouldn't be a bad look at all probably so I'd recommend the getting on a good strength programme (push/pull/legs you can't go wrong with) getting in the protein and trying to maintain/slight lean bulk :scarfer:
r99c

Postby Samba on Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:38 pm

The Old Man of Storr wrote:Although Doctors tell me it's only alcohol that affects your pancreas badly ( haven't drunk in 12 years ) I shall be looking into a change of diet very soon .

Thing is TOMoS, your preferred tipple of oj & lemonade has got a LOT of sugar in it.
In the oj, even if it's unsweetened (it's still full of 'natural' sugar) & the lemonade, if it's not diet.
And if it is diet, a load of poxy chemicals, instead.
Fruit drinks can have as much sugar in them as non-diet coke.
I used to love drinking Tropicana but it's got huge amounts of natural sugar in it.
Far healthier to drink water & eat an orange but yes, that is much more boring & less enjoyable, unfortunately..
Samba

Postby Samba on Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:39 pm

I need to lose 2 stone of ugly fat but I'm not chopping my head off, for anyone..
Samba

Postby Cuenca 'ammer on Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:54 am

good point about the sugars and my guess is that the ones that don't have regular sugars in them have artificial sweeteners are not a lot better (my vho) and you're lucky that you don't get that poxy high fructose corn syrup which is in virtually everything in the States...

https://www.change.org/p/ban-the-use-of ... corn-syrup
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer

Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado

Postby Samba on Mon Jul 08, 2019 2:38 am

Cuenca 'ammer wrote:good point about the sugars and my guess is that the ones that don't have regular sugars in them have artificial sweeteners are not a lot better (my vho) and you're lucky that you don't get that poxy high fructose corn syrup which is in virtually everything in the States...

HFCS is supposed to be deadly, Cuenca. Dreadful stuff. It's not banned as such here, but its use heavily restricted by being under a production quota across all territories in the EU, so if we do leave, it might well start appearing here in foods & drink, much more. I think we do already use glucose/fructose syrup here, just not the very high fructose one.
Who knows, it could well be a big part to blame for the amount of obesity in the US.
Samba

Postby Clucking Bell on Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:01 am

I try and ride 5,000 miles a year on my bike. I had a hip replacement four years ago so I can't run any more which has put paid to my triathlon career. I don't really enjoy gym work. I do a bit of plyo and a few deadlifts but, I'm not super interested in being strong, just strong on the bike.

I managed almost two years of veganism but, I love fish, especially sushi. I rarely eat meat but, I'll get a craving for a good burger every month or so and inevitably give in to it. Other than that, I try not to eat too much ****. I do like a drink though: I don't ever get drunk or even a bit tipsy but, there are very few beer free days.

I'm 6'1" and 68kg when I'm really fit around August/September time ..... and then I'll put on 5kg over the winter that's increasingly hard to shift.
Clucking Bell

Location: Make piss ..... check ..... crossed arms .... check .... wife hates me ... result!!

Postby fjthegrey on Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:17 am

Wow, that's light for your height dude.

Is that a natural weight? Do you carry it well?

I'm about the same height and I'd look emaciated at that weight.
fjthegrey

Postby Patito on Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:01 am

I am one of those weirdos who absolutely loves the gym. I am into powerlifting so my goal is simply to keep improving my squat, bench and deadlift numbers.
Patito

Next

Return to The Snug