Diet and Fitness

Anything goes in The Snug, the GD's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity for non-football/news related musings.

Moderators: Rio, Gnome, chalks, -DL-, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo

Re: Diet and Fitness

Postby Mega Ron on Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:53 am

Clucking Bell wrote:I try and ride 5,000 miles a year on my bike. I had a hip replacement four years ago so I can't run any more which has put paid to my triathlon career. I don't really enjoy gym work. I do a bit of plyo and a few deadlifts but, I'm not super interested in being strong, just strong on the bike.

I managed almost two years of veganism but, I love fish, especially sushi. I rarely eat meat but, I'll get a craving for a good burger every month or so and inevitably give in to it. Other than that, I try not to eat too much ****. I do like a drink though: I don't ever get drunk or even a bit tipsy but, there are very few beer free days.

I'm 6'1" and 68kg when I'm really fit around August/September time ..... and then I'll put on 5kg over the winter that's increasingly hard to shift.

Wow.

I'm 6'3'', fairly slim, and I'm always around 85kg.
Mega Ron

Postby 3times on Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:20 am

My diet is not overly bad but I work from home and pick which is my downfall.

Training wise I try to get a couple of mornings in the gym doing some cardio but mainly rep work on the weights. The best thing I did was joining an over 45's boxing class. Some of the hardest stuff I have ever done, will normally lose 1-2lb a session. Also still playing football.

Normal week would be
Monday morning - gym
Tuesday evening - football or boxing
Wednesday - day off
Thursday morning - gym
Friday evening - boxing

Then ruin it all at the weekend :(
3times

Postby Monkeybubbles on Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:25 am

Mega Ron wrote:
Wow.

I'm 6'3'', fairly slim, and I'm always around 85kg.

Exactly the same as me. Except I'm 5'8". And not fairly slim.

Recent ticker trouble means I'm going to have to kill my wheat intake. My diet is pretty good generally, but I'm a fool for bread products and the occasional cake. Anyone got any tips for substitutes or avoidance?
Monkeybubbles

Postby Patito on Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:10 pm

In terms of just the cake/sweet side of things there are a lot of decent substitutes out there that actually taste pretty good.

Stuff like these: https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/webapp/wcs ... nies-5x24g

They're very small, but only 90cals each bar and plenty of fibre.
Patito

Postby Burnley Hammer on Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:18 pm

Patito wrote:In terms of just the cake/sweet side of things there are a lot of decent substitutes out there that actually taste pretty good.

Stuff like these: https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/webapp/wcs ... nies-5x24g" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They're very small, but only 90cals each bar and plenty of fibre.

Looking at the ingredients... it looks like junk packaged as health food to me - same as many other products found on supermarket shelves these days. It's just a sugary cake with a bit of chicory root added for fibre.
Burnley Hammer

Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham

Postby Patito on Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:21 pm

It's a whole lot better than a slice of cake, works for me anyway.

Per bar (24g) 87 kcal
Fat 3.0 g
of which saturates 1.8 g
Carbohydrate 11.3 g
of which sugars 7.3 g
Fibre 5.1 g
Protein 1.2 g
Salt 0.25 g
Patito

Postby badabing on Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:30 pm

I have been mixing up HIIT training with a little bit of weights, but mainly with the summer weather I`ve been doing 400m interval work, doing the 400 in 70 seconds with 45 seconds rest, after 10 of them I`m shagged out. What really blows the mind is the fact that the elite level guys can do one in 44 odd seconds, that really is awesome, the top players at any sport really are light years ahead of us mortals.
badabing

Postby Samba on Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:45 pm

My BMI will be perfect when I grow another 3 feet taller.
I'm not fat, just short for my weight..
Samba

Postby V-M on Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:19 pm

badabing wrote:I`ve been doing 400m interval work, doing the 400 in 70 seconds with 45 seconds rest, after 10 of them I`m shagged out.

Thats still bloody good going!
V-M

Postby szola on Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:45 am

badabing wrote:I have been mixing up HIIT training with a little bit of weights, but mainly with the summer weather I`ve been doing 400m interval work, doing the 400 in 70 seconds with 45 seconds rest, after 10 of them I`m shagged out.

Like to finish early, so apart from the odd hour long jog when I can listen to a lengthy podcast, I'll always opt for a quick workout.

I've mostly stuck to a 1min x 1min routine, where I'll go for a 2.5 incline and aim for 5 - 5.2km
Doing weights as circle training, as not to bore my self to death.
szola

Postby Clacton-ammer on Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:41 am

Use to love the gym, still go 3 or 4 times a week, one of those is a spinning session. Becoming like a grind due to always having niggly injuries.

So changed it up from weights/CV and gone to 30x press ups, free squats, sit ups, run hard for three minutes, repeat until I almost throw up - keeping core muscles in line/good technique - that is hard after about the 3rd set when your body is hunting for oxygen. Going to do that for a month or so, then go to medium weights and lift for 2 minutes per set or until muscle fails.

Apparently this will help keep the body fit, build leaner muscle and allow body to repair a bit. I hope!
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing

Postby sendô on Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:53 am

I went to the gym last night.

I was disappointed when I left to discover that I'm still a fat ****.
sendô

Postby Samba on Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:53 pm

sendô wrote:I went to the gym last night.
I was disappointed when I left to discover that I'm still a fat ****.

Amazing how easy it is for fat to go on & how hard it is to come off.
Then again, that's how our bodies needed to be, especially when we were cavemen & women.
Samba

Postby sendô on Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:09 pm

Yes, apparently the dad bod is something to be ashamed of.

It's still preferable to the deadbeat dad bod, ironically given that's what most single mums seem to prefer.
sendô

Postby Clucking Bell on Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:58 am

fjthegrey wrote:Wow, that's light for your height dude.

Is that a natural weight? Do you carry it well?

I'm about the same height and I'd look emaciated at that weight.

I was always pretty skinny as a kid but, that because I didn't eat very much. Until I discovered cycling, that is. Once I'd gotten that bug, I had to eat like a horse to avoid losing weight.

If I sat on my arse and didn't do any training but, also didn't go on an all-pie diet, I think my natural weight is just shy of 12 stone or 75 kgs. I've got fairly broad shoulders from swimming but, other than that, you can definitely see my cheekbones and I've got the upper body of an eleven year old girl. Basically, I look like most road cyclists: a stick with big thighs.

I had a go a crossfit a couple of years ago and that developed my upper body to the point that I could do 20 or so pull-ups and deadlift 250 lbs but, I found that it was almost impossible to get my weight below 73 kgs and my power to weight ratio dropped off.

I think with all of this health and fitness stuff you've got to ask yourself what you're trying to achieve. In my case, I want to carry on racing bikes until there's no-one left to race in my age group and, if I can also avoid going anywhere near a doctor during that time, so much the better. I might be talking out of my ****hole because I've never tried to do it but, I think it's difficult to achieve non-specific fitness. It's always fit to do what exactly? Run upstairs? Run 5k? But, how quickly? Play football twice a week?

Or do you just want to be a certain weight? In which case, starve yourself, swim in cold water and take plenty of exercise: if you use more calories than you take in, you lose weight. Simples.
Clucking Bell

Location: Make piss ..... check ..... crossed arms .... check .... wife hates me ... result!!

Postby Patito on Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:49 am

Clucking Bell wrote: I might be talking out of my ****hole because I've never tried to do it but, I think it's difficult to achieve non-specific fitness.

I think you're right I'd say Crossfit is probably the closest thing we've got to a sport/activity that can do it.
Patito

Postby PF. on Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:56 am

Two Canadian body-builders sitting in the lounge after a heavy workout.

"I'm sore-eh" said one to the other.

"What for?"
PF.
Warsaw's Peter Stringfellow

Postby Briggsy on Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:08 pm

The docs have got me on diet to help with digestive issues, it's boring as hell but doing my health a lot of good

Basically, 50% of my plate is veg, lots of different colour & different types of veg
Small amount of carbs with meals (rice, quinoa)
Organic protein - Chicken, fish, turkey

Snacks - Fruit, nuts, seeds, plain rice cakes, honey

Avoid - Sugar, salt, dairy, gluten, caffeine, sweeteners, alcohol

I've been doing this for 3 months now, odd cheat snack here and there but stuck to it well.

As for training, I usually do 3-4 days a week of compound lifts, deadlift, squad, bench and so on. Don't really set myself goals, just try & increase the weight or reps each time. I mainly go for my brain. It's incredible for mental health. For me at least.

I'm still a bit fat though :lol:
Briggsy

Postby Briggsy on Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:12 pm

Just thought I'd add - I'd love to learn how to box, but due to digestive issues, I really can't train with any intensity or frequency.

Does anyone have any recommendations where to start? I've been teaching myself at home for a bit, but I need someone to really teach me the technique. Tried personal trainers but they don't really appreciate that I can't train with the level of intensity (I do want to, but it does me no good at all)

I really want to join a class, but don't think I could keep up.
Briggsy

Postby r99c on Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:35 pm

Had a great back workout today:

- (slightly) below knee rack pulls
- plate loaded lat pulldowns
- DY row machine
- plate loaded row machine
- lat pullovers
- shrugs
- rear delt flys

Feeling all the better for it now, amazing what weights does for your psyche :)
r99c

PreviousNext

Return to The Snug