West Ham Utd 0-3 Burnley: match thread (10/03/18)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Het-Field
Location: Its great to be Irish, but its a miracle to be a Dub
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 322 likes

Re: West Ham Utd v Burnley: match thread

Post by Het-Field »

Yes, letter writing, amongst other suggestions. And as I have been clear, what I have criticised is the pitch invasions, and stated that I am not represented by the “real” West Ham group under the stewardship of AS.

Apart from any rabble rousing pride that might have been evoked in some of you today, ask yourself, what has actually been achieved? Watch how this has been reported. Watch how the FA will respond to this. Watch how the fans of other club will discuss this. Even if you don’t care about that, and you don’t have to, consider what it will achieve? Will it make the point any more vigorously than the protest in front of the director’s box, or the protest march which may have occurred, or the less than edifying confrontation with David Gold last weekend. The pitch invasion can be used against fans in a way that other styles of protest won’t, and the fact that tiny numbers were involved in the pitch invasions demonstrates the feelings of most fans.

Listen, most people have run out of patience with the board. But pitch invasions will cost the club money, make the club look like its supporters are out of control (thus tarring all with the same brush), and will be used to avoid making the necessary contact with the fans.
Sauce!
Location: sitting on a bucket on a hamper in the corner of the old wigwam.
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by Sauce! »

AnthraxDave wrote:Everyone ready for the MoTD pundit rage-fest :D
Fair play to motd for showing the “disgraceful scenes”.

That FLJ...he gets it. :wink:
bondsbootlaces
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by bondsbootlaces »

I asked a lot of people I know, as well as people I don’t for good reasons why staying up is the best thing for us this season. Those who could give an answer were:
We might keep Lanzini and Arnie
We see premier league football, don’t want to see West Ham play Ipswich again

My reply:
One or both will leave in the summer, they won’t want to be part of this **** show even if we stay up
If you aren’t here for West Ham, why are you here?

They couldn’t back up their points at all, just started having a pop at me. Lost a lot of respect I had for them at that point.

So I open it up to everyone here, what are the reasons why staying up is best for A) West Ham United B) us as supporters?
Croydon
Location: This club is not run like a circus any more; it's run like a proper football club.
Has liked: 330 likes
Total likes: 591 likes

Post by Croydon »

Not bad from Motd, not as bad as I expected it to be. Quite happy they, unlike our captain, didn't make it about the results either.
onestuartslater
Total likes: 1 like

Post by onestuartslater »

Some of our fans came across as the animals they are on MOTD, a black day for the club with people more interested 'avin a rah' than supporting the club, pathetic.

And no, I'm not a plant, I've been going since1982, so there.
bondsbootlaces
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by bondsbootlaces »

Also, I don’t condone the pitch invaders who went up to players. That is counterproductive and makes us look like petulant children. It gives the club a stick to beat us with.

They shouldn’t have done that and that will never get them anything they want.
simonpaulthomas
Has liked: 259 likes
Total likes: 224 likes

Post by simonpaulthomas »

Yeah, fair play to Lineker and Junior there - I thought we’d get coated off good and proper by them. Jenas was his usual asinine self...
MorthwylMawr
Has liked: 379 likes
Total likes: 42 likes

Post by MorthwylMawr »

Just seen MoTD, looked OK first half and looked crap second, nothing new I guess. The result is neither here nor there, all things considered there's more at stake.

I can't approve those that went on the pitch and I can't fault Nobes in the way he reacted.

The board deserve everything they got today.

Poor old Sir Trevor looks a broken man, a true gent watching his beloved club implode.

Next level my arse, just a yo yo club with pony owners
TheHandOfDog
Has liked: 523 likes
Total likes: 419 likes

Post by TheHandOfDog »

Het-Field wrote: Listen, most people have run out of patience with the board. But pitch invasions will cost the club money, make the club look like its supporters are out of control (thus tarring all with the same brush), and will be used to avoid making the necessary contact with the fans.
I think you are lost mate, our board doesn't want to talk to the fans, they only ever do it as a last resort and even then they don't answer any of the important issues that the fans have. They just list a few things that they might do better. The club has loads of money, we made a nice profit in January, they can pay off the fines with that and come the end of the summer window there will be even more money laying around that we failed to spend. Doing anything in a situation like this is better than doing nothing and slowly sleepwalking into the next Coventry City. We have 3 professional spin doctors on our board and your plan is to communicate with them? They don't ****ing communicate hence why the fans let their anger known in ways that they can. A section of the fans have had enough of the lies, I am surprised more didn't join in with todays festivities.

What has been achieved today you ask? It is clear that not all of our fans are willing to let apathy stop them from trying to save the club before it's too late. And I'll take a small dose of pride from today, been lacking that in our club recently.
Turns to Stone
Has liked: 229 likes
Total likes: 1455 likes

Post by Turns to Stone »

Fair play to MOTD. Noble's got a bit of a front hasn't he. How the hell can this be about 'bad results'. West Ham fans have been watching us lose since we were old enough to realise. I've seen far worse teams and far worse results.

Today is what happens when you sell a club's football stadium, rent an athletic's stadium, make an absolute pigs ear of it and then tell the fans who are standing in the ****hole that it's the best 'stadiun migration' since the Romans left the Coliseum.

I used to have fun at West Ham win or lose, I don't go anymore. I just read about the abhorrent things the owners do on a daily basis and get a little bit sadder every day with every decision they make that chips little more off our lineage.
onestuartslater
Total likes: 1 like

Post by onestuartslater »

I would have taken pride in everyone getting behind the team when we went 0-1 down and creating an atmosphere that lifted and galvanised the players and the stadium. Still, guess people have different priorities.
westhamlinnet
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 68 likes

Post by westhamlinnet »

It is time now for me to walk away I have had a season ticket 20 years I don't mind losing what I can't stand is being run by the present owners they have made us a laughing stock. Perhaps they will leave but only when 50k stop attending every week
Het-Field
Location: Its great to be Irish, but its a miracle to be a Dub
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 322 likes

Post by Het-Field »

bondsbootlaces wrote:I asked a lot of people I know, as well as people I don’t for good reasons why staying up is the best thing for us this season. Those who could give an answer were:
We might keep Lanzini and Arnie
We see premier league football, don’t want to see West Ham play Ipswich again

My reply:
One or both will leave in the summer, they won’t want to be part of this **** show even if we stay up
If you aren’t here for West Ham, why are you here?

They couldn’t back up their points at all, just started having a pop at me. Lost a lot of respect I had for them at that point.

So I open it up to everyone here, what are the reasons why staying up is best for A) West Ham United B) us as supporters?

There is a great sense to the cleanse which comes with relegation. Aston Villa are the most recent example. In 2015 the entire setup was toxic. The players, owner and manager were all derided by the fans, and they seemed to have little or no respect for the fans, or each other. The same was necessary at Sunderland. It’s taken time for Villa, but they have struck the right balance. At Sunderland, the decay was too severe and deep, and it has descended further, and another relegation is inevitable there.

The key issue is, how deep is the rot at the club. In a relegation situation, we lose Chich, Arnie, Manuel, Ogbonna, Reid, and Kouyate. We potentially lose Carroll, Obiang, and Antonio. After that we are left with Byram, Cresswell, Noble, Hughill, and a group youngersters, who gave a less than stellar showing in the FA Cup, against League 1 teams. Sure, we’ll sign a few, but a poor strategy will exacerbate the rot, and might jeopardise any chance of returning to the PL in the short term.

The key issue is, can we sustain a long term existence outside of the PL, or do we go the way of similar clubs who end up playing in front of half empty grounds, and suffering the wash-rinse-repeat which comes from continuity of ownership. If we go the way of Sunderland, relegation would be the worst thing for the club.
Humbug
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 137 likes

Post by Humbug »

Getting back to the football , I think Lampard made some good points about lack of any support for Arnie (shocking 50-60 yds distance between him and anyone else). Moyes and the rest of the team have been thrashed so many times that the players are too scared to leave any gaps in defence rather than make any offensive runs. The players didn't close down at all for the last 20 mins and many just ambled around allowing Burnley so much time to pick passes. Most of the squad needs breaking apart and rebuilt with brand new players because as a team we can only play and defend with intensity for about 45-60 mins , then it all falls apart.
Hammer.CA
Has liked: 2781 likes
Total likes: 607 likes

Post by Hammer.CA »

ageing hammer wrote:
Usually brown :wink:
Cap doffed ageing.
TheHandOfDog
Has liked: 523 likes
Total likes: 419 likes

Post by TheHandOfDog »

onestuartslater wrote:I would have taken pride in everyone getting behind the team when we went 0-1 down and creating an atmosphere that lifted and galvanised the players and the stadium. Still, guess people have different priorities.
Yeah different priorities, fighting for a point against BURNLEY or trying to speed up the process of removing the tumor that is slowly killing our club. Right. Priorities indeed. Still, blame some of the fans right, it's their fault we have a serious lack of investment in the squad and a stadium made to watch ****ing little mix in.
Pob!
Has liked: 1017 likes
Total likes: 676 likes

Post by Pob! »

onestuartslater wrote:Some of our fans came across as the animals they are on MOTD, a black day for the club with people more interested 'avin a rah' than supporting the club, pathetic.

And no, I'm not a plant, I've been going since1982, so there.
'avin a rah' Oh dear, sit down and have a prawn cocktail darling ... :D
WeallwantMoore

Post by WeallwantMoore »

Back to the game....what I don’t understand is why we are not playing Arnie and Antonio up top together...we were flying in that system???

Moyes also should have changed it with 30 to go...Mario dragged....their change made all the difference
OFT
Has liked: 2995 likes
Total likes: 1758 likes

Post by OFT »

IABATAC wrote:.
Great post :thup:
GaryP
Total likes: 71 likes

Post by GaryP »

Turns to Stone wrote:Fair play to MOTD. Noble's got a bit of a front hasn't he. How the hell can this be about 'bad results'. West Ham fans have been watching us lose since we were old enough to realise. I've seen far worse teams and far worse results.

Today is what happens when you sell a club's football stadium, rent an athletic's stadium, make an absolute pigs ear of it and then tell the fans who are standing in the ****hole that it's the best 'stadiun migration' since the Romans left the Coliseum.

I used to have fun at West Ham win or lose, I don't go anymore. I just read about the abhorrent things the owners do on a daily basis and get a little bit sadder every day with every decision they make that chips little more off our lineage.
Yep fair play to FLJ.

Noble is a bit screwed though whatever he does. If he slags the board he is buggered, even if this board goes, because would new owners be impressed that he turned against current ones ? I'm prepared to cut him some slack there.