West Ham Utd 3-0 Southampton (31/03/18)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5556 likes
Total likes: 3053 likes

Re: West Ham United v Southampton Match Thread

Post by MB »

Puff Daddy wrote:I notice many of the team formations from posters, but tell me, why play just the one up front, when we have to win the ****ing game ?
Because you have to have the ball to score unless we plan to hoof it up to Hugill or use the pace (we don’t have) on the break. It always comes back to the weakness in midfield for me. It limits our options.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

MB wrote:
Because you have to have the ball to score unless we plan to hoof it up to Hugill or use the pace (we don’t have) on the break. It always comes back to the weakness in midfield for me. It limits our options.
I think hoofing it up is our best chance of getting a result. Since we haven't any players who can retain possession of the ball, hoofing is our only realistic option. Long live hoofing
MB
Cricket's Darren Anderton
Has liked: 5556 likes
Total likes: 3053 likes

Post by MB »

Which would be fine Puff if our best attacking options weren’t all ball on the floor types. We need Kouyate in the “Fellani” role for that style to be effective (as we saw when Moyes came in) but we cannot have him that far forward now unless we throw Cullen in. Doing that limits the number of attackers we can get on the pitch. It is a complete mess which needed dealing with in January.

Moyes clearly doesn’t think Hugill is up to it.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Post by Puff Daddy »

MB wrote:Which would be fine Puff if our best attacking options weren’t all ball on the floor types. We need Kouyate in the “Fellani” role for that style to be effective (as we saw when Moyes came in) but we cannot have him that far forward now unless we throw Cullen in. Doing that limits the number of attackers we can get on the pitch. It is a complete mess which needed dealing with in January.

Moyes clearly doesn’t think Hugill is up to it.
Personally. I think we should just throw him in and hope for the best. It has got to the point now, where it is almost irrelevant whether he plays or not, as we have nothing to lose. Just chuck him and keep everything crossed
hammerman11
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 744 likes

Post by hammerman11 »

we need to win this and be on the front foot however Southampton have some pace on the break and will cause us problems. forget 3 at the back as we ship goals whatever formation we play !

Hernandez has to start as hes our best striker.
Adrian back for the clown
Cullen in for kouyate who has been poor
lanzini on bench as poor recently
Arthur back as we need some pace and threat.

adrian
zabaleta collins ogbonna cresswell
antonio noble cullen masuaka
arnie hernandez

subs hart rice lanzini kouyate mario hughill haksagbonovic

we have a few options on the bench and can change antonio after 60 mins with lanzini as he will be blowing by then.
kouyate on for cullen if necessary
rice for ginger if needed

no idea whether we will turn up or still be on holiday in miami
Scratchy
Has liked: 62 likes
Total likes: 225 likes

Post by Scratchy »

Why do we have 3 weeks without a game? That's a bit of a joke really.
PK
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by PK »

Scratchy wrote:Why do we have 3 weeks without a game? That's a bit of a joke really.
Because Man Utd were in the FA Cup Quarter Finals & the International break - not much we can do about it.
A few prem teams also have 3 weeks without a game.
bubbles500

Post by bubbles500 »

Very interesting to see Southampton today. I fear we may see a totally different team. On paper that squad should be top half.
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by Jumby »

bubbles500 wrote:Very interesting to see Southampton today. I fear we may see a totally different team. On paper that squad should be top half.
They were, last season, and reaching cup finals, apparently that was boring though so they got rid of Puel, who is now mid table with Leicester.
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 733 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

they're favourites now: https://www.oddschecker.com/football/en ... ton/winner" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
DDHammer

Post by DDHammer »

Southampton have a much better back 7 than us and a decent front set of players. We'll be pressed hard and make sloppy passes before losing 3-1, bring on the Championship and the dismemberment of the Triple c****.
Westbourne Bill
Has liked: 129 likes
Total likes: 329 likes

Post by Westbourne Bill »

I’d guess the only game left where we’d be bookies favourites to win now would be Stoke...and that could change by then.
Talk of Charlie Austin being fit for it too. You can imagine him putting Sullivan firmly in his place after those “no ligaments” comments.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Post by Puff Daddy »

Westbourne Bill wrote:I’d guess the only game left where we’d be bookies favourites to win now would be Stoke...and that could change by then.
Talk of Charlie Austin being fit for it too. You can imagine him putting Sullivan firmly in his place after those “no ligaments” comments.
Ooh f***. Guess we'd better make atmosphere as toxic as possible then
Adam 'The Smudge'

Post by Adam 'The Smudge' »

Can see us winning this comfortably (strange I know) and all the resentment in the world will fade and die, just like our bubbles.
Back to square 1.
il_martello_di_genovesi
Has liked: 676 likes
Total likes: 1969 likes

Post by il_martello_di_genovesi »

Beavis Danzig wrote:they're favourites now: https://www.oddschecker.com/football/en ... ton/winner" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
They always were mate...only slight, but our first set of prices had Southampton as slight favs anyway. The market has always rated Southampton, more so than us. The year we were chasing the top 4, we were 11/4 at home to them, (We won 2-1) and they would be odds on at home to us. They are probably a bit better than us anyway. Certainly squad wise. The amount of goals we concede is why we will start to be bigger prices against teams around us...simply because we are giving away so many clear cut chances.
the celestial insect

Post by the celestial insect »

If we can match Wigan's guile in the first half, we'll win. Therein lies the problem. We're going to need 100% desire.
BondsoBob
Has liked: 573 likes
Total likes: 519 likes

Post by BondsoBob »

It seems that most feel we're going to lose this one and therefore the Championship beckons.
I don't blame Moyes entirely for this scenario, but he was never the man for the job.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton

Post by Puff Daddy »

BondsoBob wrote:It seems that most feel we're going to lose this one and therefore the Championship beckons.
I don't blame Moyes entirely for this scenario, but he was never the man for the job.
No he wasn't, but he is not blameless, far from it, for the predicament we now find ourselves in. He is singularly responsible for how his team is set up, the negative tactics, always assuming we actually have any at all and being so languid in starting matches and I really don't get his one up top infatuation, especially at home to teams around and about us
Hugh Jargon
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 475 likes

Post by Hugh Jargon »

We have no chance. Hughes will know exactly what to do. It's not too hard.
Hatcham Iron
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by Hatcham Iron »

Hugh Jargon II wrote:We have no chance. Hughes will know exactly what to do. It's not too hard.
Spot on hugh We've been sussed out a team the big majority of them too old hasbeens