Sheffield United next season

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: Rio, Gnome, chalks, -DL-, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo

Re: Sheffield United next season

Postby sanchoz on Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:38 pm

prophet:marginal wrote:Didn't he give away a bizarre penalty?

2:06
sanchoz

Location: Founder of the Carlton Cole Fan Club - Rainham & Guildford Branch

Postby prophet:marginal on Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:46 pm

Quite

:thup:
prophet:marginal

Postby Graza on Mon Apr 29, 2019 3:53 pm

DasNutNock wrote:Strong argument to be made that Kia & the Argies did more harm than good, from a purely footballing perspective. Completely unsettled the squad & management, and storm clouds were gathering as soon as they rocked up holding those shirts, looking utterly baffled.

:thup:

il_martello_di_genovesi wrote:They needed to beat Wigan at home to stay up. A fixture that was more than winnable. They failed, and finished on a points total from the other 37 games that got them relegated. That simple.

Before the game Colin (I paraphrase) "if you offered us home to Wigan last day of the season to stay up we'd have taken that opening day" lose via suspicious handball having started the game with both teams aiming for a draw that would see them both safe if we didn't win "well they had a player, that they've been fined over, so surely we deserve to be in the premier league" etc. Not to mention his constant "mini league at the bottom, come top of that and you survive"- they did and didn't. We on the other hand got 12 points off ManU and Arsenal (first team is decades to do so) while he rested his players against the big teams surrendering points and bringing the league into disrepute, with no reprecussions.

For me though we'd have been better off as a club long term of those two signings didn't happen. We were flying after that season, the dressing room snarled up as soon as they landed and the ridiculous pay off to that scum and PR nightmare that ensued hurt the club far beyond. Tevez was a special player there is no doubt. But we'd all have been better off
Graza

Postby WorcesterWHU on Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:10 pm

The thing that winds me up the most about all of that arbitration nonsense was the glossing over of the fact that in the most important (or at least relevant) game, they gave us an absolute shoeing whilst Tevez was on the field and yet still contrived to go down.

It all stunk to high heaven and still does.
WorcesterWHU

Postby Coops on Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:23 pm

I vaguely remember staggering home from my mates house in the early hours singing "one Carlos Tevez" at the top of my voice. So if they had questioned my neighbours they probably would have come down on the blunts side.
Coops

Postby monkeyhanger on Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:38 pm

Graza wrote:Before the game Colin (I paraphrase) "if you offered us home to Wigan last day of the season to stay up we'd have taken that opening day" lose via suspicious handball having started the game with both teams aiming for a draw that would see them both safe if we didn't win "well they had a player, that they've been fined over, so surely we deserve to be in the premier league" etc.

This.

I’m convinced the Blunts threw that Wigan game in the expectation we would lose at Old Trafford and we would go down instead of them or Wigan. That should have been investigated IMO.

I heard that Sean Bean stormed into the managers office after that game screaming “what have you done?’ knowing that the game had been rigged. His march on parliament was a subsequent attempt to divert attention along with the whole Tevezgate saga itself.

I never watched beyond the end of season 1 of Game of Thrones as once he’d had his head cut off I thought well this series isn’t going to top that.
monkeyhanger

Postby prophet:marginal on Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:47 pm

monkeyhanger wrote:
This.

I’m convinced the Blunts threw that Wigan game in the expectation we would lose at Old Trafford and we would go down instead of them or Wigan. That should have been investigated IMO.

There was a weird old thing going on in the background for Paul Jewell, iirc, but I honestly cannot believe that these two clubs could have 'expected' that we would lose.

Its 22 blokes and a football; anything is possible, especially if Man United have already won the league.
prophet:marginal

Postby sendô on Mon Apr 29, 2019 4:48 pm

monkeyhanger wrote:I never watched beyond the end of season 1 of Game of Thrones as once he’d had his head cut off I thought well this series isn’t going to top that.

:lol:
sendô

Postby anjado on Mon Apr 29, 2019 6:33 pm

Sheffield United picked up 18 points from their last 20 fixtures that season. Three of which were against us. I look forward to all the Tevez scored at Old Trafford to keep us up news stories next season which is factually wrong but it sounds better than Robert Green keeps a clean sheet to ensure West Ham survival.
anjado

Postby Sauce! on Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:18 pm

monkeyhanger wrote:I’m convinced the Blunts threw that Wigan game in the expectation we would lose at Old Trafford and we would go down instead of them or Wigan. That should have been investigated IMO.

As most of us already know, a narrow Wigan win was the only way to guarantee both Wigan & Sheffield United would stay up at our expense (assuming we would lose at Old Trafford). Even if we got nothing from our game, any other result between SU and Wigan then Wigan go down.

Call me a conspiracy nut :P but I am convinced SU and Wigan, via McCabe & Whelan, 'engineered' that result & by the time they found out we got a result it was too late to do anything about it. Just look at the ridiculous penalty handball by Jagielka, who then had the temerity to threaten us with legal action (over loss of earnings I think).

I said this at the time & stand by it 100%.
Sauce!

Location: sitting on a bucket on a hamper in the corner of the old wigwam.

Postby WestHamByTheSea on Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:35 am

And of course what the media and their attendant sheep-like diaspora who actually follow the likes of Henry Winter et al on social media always fail to mention is that they 'broke the same rule' that season re. Steve Kabba (think it was him or Danny Webber?!). And then had the nerve to say 'well he wasn't as good as Tevez so it ain't the same'... which is basically the same as saying that if you commit a murder and are famous, it's worse than if you're not famous and commit the same crime.

F*** em and the vultures they rode in on (and that pompous tit Henry Winter). One of the tiny number of clubs who I wouldn't give a monkeys about if they went out of business - after all they would have been perfectly happy to see us potentially suffer that same fate after the ludicrous fines.

I hope we have long and undiminished memories when we face them next year - I was at that League Cup game at ours a few years ago when they beat us on pens, and was struck by how timid their support were when we were giving them some volleys of 'WHERE'S THE MONEY GONE?' (was in the East Stand Upper right next to them that night). A guilty (sub) consciousness right there. :thdn:
WestHamByTheSea

Location: Turning the TV off, making some tea, and saying modern life well it's rubbish...

Postby hammerman11 on Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:24 am

should spice the atmosphere up at the bowl
hammerman11

Postby MadMart on Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:58 am

hammerman11 wrote:should spice the atmosphere up at the bowl

Particularly if we all wear No.32 Tevez shirts - can't someone get some t-shirts printed with this on the back cheaper than the official WHUFC crap???? about 40,000 should do the job
MadMart

Postby MilkyBarKid16 on Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:58 am

Don't forget the Tevez masks
MilkyBarKid16

Postby Clacton-ammer on Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:09 am

I really really want the Tevez mask thing, it would be outstanding :lol:
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing

Postby War Pony on Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:31 am

War Pony

Postby bracknellhammer on Tue Apr 30, 2019 2:29 pm

McCabe has already been interviewed on SSN and still blames Tevez for them going down :lol:
bracknellhammer

Postby thejackhammer on Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:18 pm

We only needed a draw at Old Trafford.

That lazy reporting drives me crazy to this day.
thejackhammer

Postby martin allen fan club on Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:35 pm

Il be up there with or without a ticket !! Guarantee itl be a 12.30 ko on a sunday !
martin allen fan club

Postby ereford ammer on Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:14 pm

Can we have a chant of only one Carlos Tevez after 32 minutes?
ereford ammer

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion