Lampard at Elland Road: there can be only one

Does exactly what it says on the tin - the forum for football-related discussion.

Moderators: Rio, Gnome, chalks, -DL-, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo

Re: Lampard at Elland Road: there can be only one

Postby Up the Junction on Thu May 16, 2019 11:56 am

Football's axis of entitlement runs north to south from Newcastle, through Aston and into North London (N17 to be precise).

So it's Derby for me too.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

Postby Eastbourne Hammer on Thu May 16, 2019 12:12 pm

Never had any time for Villa & I think young Frank should be recognised for what he's done. Well done son, best of luck in the final.

(I reckon we're more likely to pick up points off of Derby too, mind...)
Eastbourne Hammer

Postby sendô on Thu May 16, 2019 12:16 pm

Can't help but laugh at Leeds, they were in the driving seat for automatic promotion but proper threw it away.

I'm not sure what the hell their keeper was doing though.

As to the final, I'd prefer Derby. They're more likely to cough up 6 points for West Ham, and as the boss points out, Aston Villa still think they're one of the biggest clubs in Europe because they won the European Cup donkeys years ago. A bit more humility will do them good. Fingers crossed Everton can join them next season.
sendô

Postby goa127 on Thu May 16, 2019 12:37 pm

whatever your feelings for Frank jnr, he's done well to get here. We need more recently retired English players to take a chance and have a go at managing lower status teams.
goa127

Postby YorksHammer on Thu May 16, 2019 12:51 pm

And the playoff final is now between two clubs who are as well versed in escaping FFP regulations as Man City (among others) are.

Derby have about 6 different 'owner companies' - a holding company behind a holding company behind four different companies that 'own' one aspect of the club (the club itself, the academy, the events/catering teams, and the sponsorship deals). A wage bill that they've gambled promotion against, treating amortisation in a unique manner to lower costs, losing a number of millions of pounds a week, only accounting for that by 'selling' Pride Park.

Villa gambled their finances in 2016/17 and have made over £200m in losses over the past six season.

Both teams are playing fast and loose with the rules of FFP and have essentially gambled on being promoted this season - next season neither would be able to come close to their finishing positions this season without a bit of luck and some wise investments in players - plus they'd most likely have to sell a fair few players to break even.

A disgusting indictment of how negligent the EFL are to applying their own rules.
YorksHammer

Postby Cockneyboy311 on Thu May 16, 2019 12:55 pm

I thought it was a big mistake for Derby to take on Lampard, but like in his playing career he's proved us wrong. I've watched them a few times and they play some nice stuff. Well done to him and i hope they beat Villa and John ****ing Terry.
Cockneyboy311

Postby Clacton-ammer on Thu May 16, 2019 1:13 pm

Yorks :thup:

Money spent you can make a strong argument Derby have under achieved. For balance, you still have to make a team, and he has done that. Respect due.

Still think he is a **** :)

Villa for me now Leeds cocked it up.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing

Postby mushy on Thu May 16, 2019 1:15 pm

Eastbourne Hammer wrote:Never had any time for Villa & I think young Frank should be recognised for what he's done. Well done son, best of luck in the final.

(I reckon we're more likely to pick up points off of Derby too, mind...)

Derby County got one less point this season then the season before.
The only real difference being that this time they won their play-off semi final.
They have also spunked a lot of money (especially on wages).
As far as I am concerned the jury is still out on Franks managerial career, and it makes me laugh the amount of Chelsea fans that want him, Terry and Morris at Chelsea straight away. (see Man Utd and Ole).
Having said all that he and his team need to be congratulated for last nights performance, they appeared dead and buried in that first half.
Apparently Derby supporters have nominated the Leeds keeper as their man of the match.
mushy

Postby Loon on Thu May 16, 2019 9:27 pm

Well done you Frank Jnr for causing a major upset. I was there when his Dad ran around the flag at Elland Road v Everton to put us into the final in 1980, so history repeats.
Loon

Postby -DL- on Thu May 16, 2019 9:30 pm

I8CHAVS wrote:I am beginning to lose my hatred of young Frank, he has got all the right traits of a top manager, can see him at Chelsea one day, fair play to Derby for taking a chance

:thup:

He's still a Hammer, as are his family. I'd love to see him do well.
-DL-
Match thread guru

Postby westham,eggyandchips on Thu May 16, 2019 9:44 pm

-DL- wrote:He's still a Hammer

Young Frank is certainly NOT still a Hammer.

His dad probably still is.....just.
westham,eggyandchips

Postby -DL- on Thu May 16, 2019 9:47 pm

We'll have to beg to differ on that one :)
-DL-
Match thread guru

Postby westham,eggyandchips on Thu May 16, 2019 9:59 pm

When we play Chelsea, I wonder who he roots for? :think:

Edit: I don't blame TBF after some of the abuse he got.
Last edited by westham,eggyandchips on Thu May 16, 2019 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
westham,eggyandchips

Postby prophet:marginal on Thu May 16, 2019 10:05 pm

In fairness to Lampard, Derby resolved the spygate stuff where it matters: on the pitch.

Ramming it down the throats of all those Leeds fans, on their home patch, must have felt sweet.
prophet:marginal

Postby mushy on Fri May 17, 2019 12:45 am

-DL- wrote:
He's still a Hammer, as are his family. I'd love to see him do well.

This dear reader is 100% true.
mushy

Postby BondsoBob on Fri May 17, 2019 6:41 am

I don't know how many times I'm going to have to repeat this, as I've already stated it in several other threads, but here goes.
Some years ago, when Frank Jnr. was still playing at Chelsea Frank Snr. said something like (can't recall the exact quote) 'I'm an east end boy through and through and I used to be a West Ham fan. But now days I support Chelsea'.
Now a lot of people might say what's wrong with that? But I know that if my son had been good enough to play professional football, no matter who he played for I would never have said something like that. I would have said 'my son plays for.......so I go and watch him/them but I will always be a West Ham fan'.
Frank Snr. was always one of my heroes but I cringed when I heard all that.
BondsoBob

Postby Clacton-ammer on Fri May 17, 2019 7:03 am

Bondso, I had pretty much the same with FL Snr, was corporate at a Chelsea match, he was there so I had to go and say hello to one of my heroes, he said similar to me.

To say I was gutted is understated.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing

Postby White Goodman on Fri May 17, 2019 7:03 am

If I can just call time on the Lampard cock gobbling for a moment , there's little he's done this year that makes me think great manager.

He squeezed 1 more point out of that squad than the previous manager whilst taking them to exactly the same place in the league.

He may go on to do very well but there's not much evidence of that yet. I think you lot are dazzled by the fact he can string a few words together and wears more expensive suits than the rest of the championship managers.
White Goodman
Making excuses in A&E

Postby S-H on Fri May 17, 2019 7:05 am

White Goodman wrote:If I can just call time on the Lampard cock gobbling for a moment , there's little he's done this year that makes me think great manager.

He squeezed 1 more point out of that squad than the previous manager whilst taking them to exactly the same place in the league.

He may go on to do very well but there's not much evidence of that yet. I think you lot are dazzled by the fact he can string a few words together and wears more expensive suits than the rest of the championship managers.

Spot on, Whitey.
S-H

Postby westham,eggyandchips on Fri May 17, 2019 7:19 am

White Goodman wrote:If I can just call time on the Lampard cock gobbling for a moment , there's little he's done this year that makes me think great manager.

:thup:

You missed out the bit about having Chelsea loanees aswell.
westham,eggyandchips

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion