Payet? [POLL]

The Forum for all football-related discussion, including West Ham United FC. Our busiest Forum and the place to begin if you're new to KUMB.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

Re-sign Payet?

Poll ended at Thu Jun 27, 2019 9:21 pm

Yes
53%
No
42%
Unsure
5%

Total votes: 445

Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Re: Payet? [POLL]

Post by Colours never run »

goa127 wrote:even in hindsight you have to say Nasri was worth a punt. Had he been able to stay fit we'd have had a top-class player for a season or two on a free. Even his limited contributions last season were worth seeing. It probably shows just how physically demanding top-flight professional football has become.
100%

He was hardly a risk on loan for a bit, having to prove his fitness first before signing him more long term. For that deft Assist alone (not that was all he did) to set up Rice's debut winner against his former team Arsenal, I'll be eternally grateful.
Turns to Stone
Has liked: 229 likes
Total likes: 1453 likes

Post by Turns to Stone »

Whilst I do despise the owners, one thing that I think is important to remember (especially on a Monday), it's not that long ago that we were having polls on here about signing Ben Thatcher and El Hadj Diouf.

It's not all bad.
e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Post by e17 »

Turns to Stone wrote:Whilst I do despise the owners, one thing that I think is important to remember (especially on a Monday), it's not that long ago that we were having polls on here about signing Ben Thatcher and El Hadj Diouf.

It's not all bad.
I'd have rather polls about signing Ben Thatcher and Diouf, and be still playing at The Boleyn all day long.
Vienna
Has liked: 157 likes
Total likes: 291 likes

Post by Vienna »

Bring him back
DublinDave
Has liked: 2720 likes
Total likes: 1754 likes

Post by DublinDave »

Vienna wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 12:01 am Bring him back
You're silly...
brothernero
Has liked: 702 likes
Total likes: 717 likes

Post by brothernero »

Vienna wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 12:01 am Bring him back
Bringing back a thread from 4 years ago. Top work. :thumbdn:
Viv Stanshall
Has liked: 140 likes
Total likes: 276 likes

Post by Viv Stanshall »

Hardly ever heard anything about him since he left us.
Surely if he was still that good he’d be in the French 11 and have been tracked or signed by a big player.
None of those things ever happened.
That’s not to say that when he was with us he wasn’t anything other than Sublime, because he truly was.
How he never became one of the best regarded players is odd.
Misko
Has liked: 471 likes
Total likes: 1364 likes

Post by Misko »

From this side of the Channel, Payet is seen as a good player, one true talent that didn't need superb fitness to perform. However, he is nothing of a world class player. Most probably because of the said lack of fitness and total dedication to the game, and also because as he is seen as the personified sh*thousery, only beaten by Neymar for the most hated character award.

The way he is considered here at WHU is a perpetual amazement to me.
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Misko - I just don't think you understand.... It was our last season at Upton Park, before moving to the Olympic Stadium, he signed from nowhere and was a sensation, he truly lit up what was a hugely emotional season with some absolutely world class displays.

I only remember what he did on the pitch, as that's all that matters to me, he was the icing on top of the cake in what became a very special season for so many reasons.

He was our talisman, he was the reason to watch West Ham, he put bums on seats, and quickly had them up again with his breath taking performances.

Every freekick, was as good as or better than a penalty, you just knew he was scoring, every time he had the ball, there was an intake of breath, anticipation filled the air that something special would happen, and more often than not, it did.

The guy for me, will always be one of the best I've seen play.

Misko
Has liked: 471 likes
Total likes: 1364 likes

Post by Misko »

I totally understand the love and the emotions, that's a major part of being a supporter. It's just the distortion between the Payet that I know and the one you describe that is somewhat hard to process. :winker:
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 496 likes
Total likes: 1038 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

Love is a fickle beast
GALF
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 151 likes

Post by GALF »

The most exciting player I’ve ever seen play for the club. We got an early taster away at Southend in pre-season and the whispers began. Then he put in that performance against Arsenal away on the first day of the season (if I recall correctly?) and the rest is history.

Too short and sweet, but he could have an hour highlight reel of genuine brilliance out of only 18 months of play time.

Attackers are always favoured in this sense, but when do West Ham ever have a Ballon D’or candidate? He may be the only one in my lifetime.
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

Viv Stanshall wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 6:34 am Hardly ever heard anything about him since he left us.
Surely if he was still that good he’d be in the French 11 and have been tracked or signed by a big player.
None of those things ever happened.
That’s not to say that when he was with us he wasn’t anything other than Sublime, because he truly was.
How he never became one of the best regarded players is odd.
Yet how much had you heard of him pre west ham?

63 goals in 243 games since leaving , with 66 assists aswell

Considering he's 36 now that's a brilliant return for his position
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by sutts07 »

Had a decent season with Marseille after leaving us, guided them to a Europa League final but got injured in the final, which saw him miss out on the World Cup squad... which France won... it hasn't been great for him since then.

It feels like everything he did with us (and Marseille when he went back) was all driven by making the French team for that World Cup in 2018. After missing out, his drive and motivation hasn't even been close to what we saw and he has slowly detreated over the years, starting just 9 games last season.

He was unreal, remains hands down the best player I have seen in a West Ham shirt. Such a shame it was such a brief spell.
Hammer Matty
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 123 likes

Post by Hammer Matty »

Every single time he got the ball you just watched on expecting something to happen, and every free kick you thought would go in

Amazing player, amazing time to be a West Ham fan
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Misko wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 7:34 am I totally understand
Sorry mate, the 'I just don't think you understand' line was in reference to a song we had about him, not a dig at you.

:newthumb:
Het-Field
Location: Its great to be Irish, but its a miracle to be a Dub
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 322 likes

Post by Het-Field »

Misko wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 6:54 am From this side of the Channel, Payet is seen as a good player, one true talent that didn't need superb fitness to perform. However, he is nothing of a world class player. Most probably because of the said lack of fitness and total dedication to the game, and also because as he is seen as the personified sh*thousery, only beaten by Neymar for the most hated character award.

The way he is considered here at WHU is a perpetual amazement to me.
Watching him at times in 2015-2016 was wizard like. He was a catalyst. He was the player that was going to take us to the 'next level', and for a number of reasons that never happened. Within 6 months he was downing tools and angling for a move. I also remember during Covid-19 he was cited as not taking a pay-cut in line with a lot of pros in the League.

In short, I think people remember him for the football he played. I don't think many West Ham fans actually like the guy too much. Humouring Vienna's post, I wouldn't want him back for the simple reason that I don't like him, he wouldn't be close to the same player we had in 2015, and he is ageing out of the game.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

No
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2563 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

I liked the way he aimed a cross at an actual players head. Those were the days. Maybe one day we'll have another player that does that.
SammyLeeWasOffside
Has liked: 290 likes
Total likes: 1026 likes

Post by SammyLeeWasOffside »

Misko wrote: Tue Jul 04, 2023 7:34 am I totally understand the love and the emotions, that's a major part of being a supporter. It's just the distortion between the Payet that I know and the one you describe that is somewhat hard to process. :winker:
We got the best of him that first season, much like the lingard spell.

Payet was focused to get in the France squad and was just out of this world for us. Quite possibly the 3rd best player on the planet that year. Also a bit maverick and could run games while looking unfit and barely interested - that's a pretty good fit for a west ham cult hero.