Newcastle Utd 0-3 West Ham Utd (01/12/18)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

ageing hammer
Has liked: 484 likes
Total likes: 1475 likes

Re: ⚽ Newcastle Utd v West Ham Utd: match thread (01/12)

Post by ageing hammer »

Snodgrass got booked for a nothing tackle and Shelvey assaulted one of our players near the end and no booking. :shock:
OohAahButler
Has liked: 561 likes
Total likes: 288 likes

Post by OohAahButler »

Cuenca 'ammer wrote:two very heavy fouls in the first 2 minutes by Richie on Cresswell and not a word..third was a collection of fouls..but the first two were unnecessary and VERY heavy...

definitely trying to intimidate Cresswell..

"putting it about" would be the old vernacular.....
Agreed. Which was one of the reasons why I was so impressed with Cresswell yesterday. He’s received plenty of stick for apparently losing his bottle since his injury, but refused to be intimidated yesterday.
Cuenca 'ammer
ex 'ouston 'ammer
Location: Journey to the dead of night. High on a hill in Eldorado
Has liked: 1905 likes
Total likes: 1614 likes

Post by Cuenca 'ammer »

shame he got hurt, he was playing very well......

as I mentioned if he's hurt for any length of time (hamstrings are notoriously difficult to get over and might have an underlying cause).....we're at 2 FB's one of whom is 34 and the other isn't really a FB.

:shock:
Johnny_C WHU
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Johnny_C WHU »

Johnny_C WHU wrote:I actually think we are going to thump them 3-0 and no I haven't been drinking..... :scarfer:
I called it!!! :D

Fantastic performance and a great result. COYI
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 342 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Great result with some very nice football to boot!

We are still far too open at the back, but a 3 nil win is cracking! :scarfer:
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by sutts07 »

Full credit to the gaffer for his approach to this. Nullified their threat and exposed their weakness.

Two lovely finishes from Hernandez, the first just instinctive and the second showed composure as he looked up and slotted it near post as opposed to aiming far post and hoping for the best. That's what we want to see!

And what about Anderson... wow... totally different player from the first few weeks, his goal alone proves that. He is staying on his feet, beating players, scoring goals... and that 'no look' through ball to Hernandez was superbly executed.

Very good all round team performance, my only negative would be that we still look very susceptible from set pieces, particularly corners. With a run of games coming up against the so called ' lesser' teams, that could be exploited.

Can't end the post on a negative though as it was a superb performance and result.
HighWycombeHammer

Post by HighWycombeHammer »

Great away day.

I love the way we attack teams now. For 90 minutes we gave it ago. It seems to be coming together a bit more now.

Negative - sometimes we play too much football in the wrong areas and give the ball away and then we are exploited. Numerous attacks against us on Saturday cos we over played and lost it.... a minute before halftime we had the ball in their last third and rather than keeping the ball there we overplayed and they got an opportunity to score on the break.

Positive - The 2 centre halves are becoming a great unit for us. Creswell was back to his old form and Anderson is starting to show the talent that he has. Hernandez for me had his best performance since he has been with us. He seemed interested in being a part of the team. His movement, hold up play and link play was as it should be. He was not just looking to go down and win free kicks. I am not his biggest fan and one swallow does not make a summer.

Over all we wanted a team to give it a go when we had big Sam and we have got it now so losing the ball in certain areas is what we have probably signed up for (for a while).

Back in High Wycombe by 9.20 for a couple of beers and to watch MOTD. Crap highlights which made me think that I was watching another game. Well done BBC.
Aycliffe

Post by Aycliffe »

Can't recall a better away day at St James Park in the 20 odd years I have lived up here. Yes we rode our luck at times but in the 2nd half we could have put 5 or 6 past them.

The Geordies were giving me plenty of pre match banter expecting the usual win against the Hammers up here but for some reason they have been rather quiet since the game!!

Important now that we press on and get our first back to back victories for quite some time!
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Has there been an oppo view, yet?

Highlight of my Monday, after a win.

:kumb:
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1788 likes
Total likes: 2073 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Zabaleta, Anderson and Hernandez in Crooks Team of the Week
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

That tackle from Zaba on Rondon, was top class!
Albie Beck
Has liked: 617 likes
Total likes: 639 likes

Post by Albie Beck »

S-H wrote:Has there been an oppo view, yet?
Haven't seen a link for the last couple ?
MilHammer
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by MilHammer »

Anderson has really had some great passes tonight.

Love Diangana's presence on the ball too; always seems like he's going to be pushed off but he creates a bit of space and has great attacking instincts.

From Felipe's Instagram it seems like him and Diangana have a good relationship. Definitely seem like they play off each other's creativity on the pitch too.