West Ham Utd 1-0 Arsenal (12/01/19)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Re: ⚽ West Ham Utd v Arsenal: match thread

Post by Puff Daddy »

johnnyb wrote:Little boy about 6 to dad today "Who is the no.5?". Dad answers "Zabaleta". Little boy replies "I really like him, he tries very hard doesn't he?"
That is wonderful from a little lad aged 6 to be so observant and to notice that as the position Zabs plays is hardly the most glamourous on the pitch :thup:
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1487 likes
Total likes: 3083 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

Declan was 10/10

But I just wanna say a word for Cresswell. Excellent today, absolutely excellent. Don't need another left back in if he continues playing as he is.
Tristan Shout
An unhealthy interest in "Dogging"
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 34 likes

Post by Tristan Shout »

I so badly need a gif of Anderson adjusting his gloves, I work with loads of gooners and it would be brilliant for our work WhatsApp group
Vic_Watson
Has liked: 167 likes
Total likes: 259 likes

Post by Vic_Watson »

johnnyb wrote:Little boy about 6 to dad today "Who is the no.5?". Dad answers "Zabaleta". Little boy replies "I really like him, he tries very hard doesn't he?"
Spot on analysis. Get him on MotD!
S-H
Has liked: 5739 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Gooner forums make for interesting reading, seems weird reading Arsenal fans wishing they had a number of of our players in their first team, would suggest that we're heading in the right direction.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

jastons wrote:So impressed again by the way we killed the game in the last half hour.

:thup:

We were in complete control. West Ham of old would have sat back and ended up loosing the game, today we went looking for a second :scarfer:

100% and some. I've noticed it more and more when we win under Pellegrini. It really does show he likes his team's to remain focused until the last minute and to not let up attacking. You can tell he comes from the school of thought, best form of defence, is attack. I feel as if I'm dreaming watching us currently play this way, because I've wanted us to do this for decades.

Sticking 11 men behind the ball and parking a bus trying to nick a goal can forever kiss my arse! I just dread the day Pellegrini and his footballing philosophy finally leave us, but that's for many years to come yet....
steveyrockstar
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 757 likes

Post by steveyrockstar »

Moxy wrote:Why did we win today? Because we have the best manager in my lifetime (29 years young) and he knows exactly what he is doing. Absolute class act.
To be fair, public opinion on managers can swing dramatically after 4 or 5 games, and Pellers has only been here for 6 months or so. However, I do make you very probably right :wink:
steveyrockstar
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 757 likes

Post by steveyrockstar »

I'm used to this lot smashing us 3 or 4-0 in recent seasons. However, even before the game, I thought that the gap between the two sides had greatly shrunk. The match proved it. There's not really much between us and I fully expect us to finish 7th or 8th this season. Given that it's a transitional season, that's pretty impressive.
Paddy O'Hammer
Has liked: 508 likes
Total likes: 162 likes

Post by Paddy O'Hammer »

Vic_Watson wrote:2nd on MotD tonight. :thup:
We were 2nd on BT's MOTD thing also!
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2633 likes

Post by sendô »

A solid enough performance today, a few stand outs particularly Rice, Zab, Cress and Antonio. There was also slightly disappointing games from Arnie and Ogbonna. Plenty of sloppy passing and giving away possession cheaply all round, but nonetheless a home win and a clean sheet. It's a shame we couldn't put to the sword a team that was so clearly inferior to you, but sometimes when you play these sides they drag you down to their level.

Still, Bournemouth away next week which we know will be a much tougher challenge, so we should all be satisfied with the routine win and no injuries or bans.
Abominable Snowflake

Post by Abominable Snowflake »

31 points in January, 9th in the PL and an attendance of 60,000. Very happy with the progress to date.
RM10

Post by RM10 »

wheres your Arsenal gone, quality,they really are close to their other twats in N.London.
wolf359
Has liked: 1558 likes
Total likes: 1709 likes

Post by wolf359 »

On motd now. Let’s see what the morons say about us.
wolf359
Has liked: 1558 likes
Total likes: 1709 likes

Post by wolf359 »

Jenas just added 20mill to Rice’s value. Very positive about Nasri.
southbrishammer
Has liked: 114 likes
Total likes: 340 likes

Post by southbrishammer »

Based solely on MOTD highlights, Nasri looks like a fantastic signing. When he got the ball 20 yards out and just waited for Anderson to arrive, he looked so cool and calm, which hopefully will spread across the team.
gosling67
Total likes: 1 like

Post by gosling67 »

Beavis Danzig wrote:the owner downer of the day was seeing people shuffle for the exits it the 85th minute when we're 1-0 up and eight minutes away from beating the goon at home for the first time in over a decade.
In our section, the only people leaving at that time were obvious gooners :scarfer:
Ludeksgloves
Has liked: 36 likes
Total likes: 456 likes

Post by Ludeksgloves »

Its probably been mentioned, but I was so happy to see the players reaction to Rice getting his first goal. They really looked pleased for him. In a time where football is about primadonnas, player power and money, its great to see a home-grown player blossom the way Rice is. The players know that he is special.
MrMoon
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by MrMoon »

Tristan Shout wrote:I so badly need a gif of Anderson adjusting his gloves, I work with loads of gooners and it would be brilliant for our work WhatsApp group

With my compliments Sir!

prophet:marginal
Has liked: 838 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

A legend is born

In truth today, some of his 2nd half work was pure entertainment today.
chigwells finest
Location: crying with family/crying with strangers & just crying tbh
Has liked: 393 likes
Total likes: 158 likes

Post by chigwells finest »

S-H wrote:Gooner forums make for interesting reading, seems weird reading Arsenal fans wishing they had a number of of our players in their first team, would suggest that we're heading in the right direction.
even when they went on their 22 match unbeaten run , i thought they were extremely fortunate in many of them , im also still rankled that we lost there 3-1 , when in truth we outplayed them for most of the game .

they have got out of trouble with lacazette & aubamayangs 2nd half goals, but the last few games have highlighted their shortcomings ., and long may their malaise continue .