Watford 1-4 West Ham Utd (12/05/19)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Marky
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Re: ⚽ Watford v West Ham United: Match Thread

Post by Marky »

The West Ham steward thought the concourse was dangerous yesterday. I must admit I wouldn’t take one of my kids to Watford or Palace Away next season due to the 1970s facilities. Disgrace they don’t spend money on their Away facilities/infrastructure.
old fart
Has liked: 136 likes
Total likes: 356 likes

Post by old fart »

goa127 wrote: Think the precedent was set many years ago when Billy Bonds was not suspended for the cup final despite getting sent off for swapping punches with Colin Todd.
Didn't Mullins and Alonso miss the cup final for a silly spat?
w4hammer
Location: ..my heart says... West Ham.. my head says ...West Ham
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by w4hammer »

yes- a handags square up in the league match at UP
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2636 likes

Post by sendô »

mushy wrote: Well as an ex rugby player (not any decent standard) , yes I have had people pull me back, and if you watch rugby matches it happens all the time without every player collapsing onto the deck.
I did think that the most likely cause of him falling was a clipping of the ankles but havent seen that on the replays.
Edit.
In fact have watched it from every angle, the best angle is the one shot from behind the goal we are attacking. I still cannot see any natural reason that Antonio went down, his legs just appear to go from beneath him, I cant see how a push/pull could have caused him to do that.
http://hlfc.veuclips.com/player/html/dH ... autoplay=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
From 4 minutes onwards
I'm not sure the two sports are quite the same, as someone running playing rugby has the ball in hand and arms up, and is positioned expecting a tug on the shoulder or waist etc, whereas a footballer is concentrating more on kicking the ball.

Personally I didn't think Antonio dived, he was pulled off balance and fell over.
NedN
Has liked: 132 likes
Total likes: 586 likes

Post by NedN »

Don’t know if anyone else has mentioned it, but the pitch seemed pretty slick. Antonio falling for the red could have been a combination of the tug (at that blistering pace he was running at), as well as the slick pitch (lots were losing their footing). Don’t think he dove
chuffster
Has liked: 19 likes

Post by chuffster »

Red card overturned.
GaryP
Total likes: 71 likes

Post by GaryP »

Pleased for Holebas car has been overturned. He really doesn't deserve to miss a cup final for that. It was not a deliberate foul.
GaryP
Total likes: 71 likes

Post by GaryP »

Upton Carp wrote:Anybody got a link to a replay of the full match, please?
Its not up the usual site yet but will post alink when it is.

Just keep an eye out here

http://fullmatchsports.com/fullmatch/fu ... 2018-2019/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hammers1man
Has liked: 1 like

Post by Hammers1man »

GaryP wrote:Pleased for Holebas car has been overturned. He really doesn't deserve to miss a cup final for that. It was not a deliberate foul.
Car overturned? Poor guy is having a bad week. :wink:
carnage
Has liked: 84 likes
Total likes: 707 likes

Post by carnage »

Paolopaul wrote:We’ve finished 14 points off 6th place in the end, which has to be the optimistic target for the mid table teams next year.

With shrewd transfers and effective overall management of the club, we could look to close that gap...
The trouble is, 6th are Manchester United who will spend in excess of 200 million in the summer.
OFT
Has liked: 2995 likes
Total likes: 1758 likes

Post by OFT »

carnage wrote:
The trouble is, 6th are Manchester United who will spend in excess of 200 million in the summer.
After the recent run they won't let OGS loose with £200m will they? They may try and tempt Pochettino with a spending spree.
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 842 likes

Post by mushy »

NedN wrote:Don’t know if anyone else has mentioned it, but the pitch seemed pretty slick. Antonio falling for the red could have been a combination of the tug (at that blistering pace he was running at), as well as the slick pitch (lots were losing their footing). Don’t think he dove
They soaked it at half time.
Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

Post by Samba »

chigwells finest wrote:we did have a game at sunderland after the cup final though ? which i think he played in too
goa127 wrote:Yeah, I think he was let off with a caution because of his previous good record! It was a long time ago so I'm not sure, but it was the most outrageous bit of rule-bending ever (thankfully)
Some have said that Sir Ron of Greenwood, being England manager at the time, may have 'called in a favour', upstairs..
Mullins in '06 was not as lucky..and who knows, we might have won it with him playing.. :x
Holebas is a lucky boy. At 34 he probably won't get to another final again.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2642 likes
Total likes: 1747 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

The Premier League has become a pathetic place for diving and falling over at the merest touch of the shoulder but a precedent has been set so if David Silva is through on goal and Zabaleta or whoever touches him on the shoulder he goes down EVERY time - Antonio did the correct thing in my book , those are the rules now - I don't like it , you don't like , no one has to like it but that's the rule .

Solution -

Do NOT touch the player running in front of you on the shoulder .

Simple As .
bowltorious
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 25 likes

Post by bowltorious »

Thats a disgrace that got overturned, setting a bad precedent. Not that I want him banned it's just they've made an exception for one player. Been loads of times where someone has picked up a shitty yellow and missed domestic, champions league and world cup finals because of it. Why change the rule for one person? Especially when it was a red. On a side note how did Monreal not get banned for his dive against Brighton? The FA and Premier League is a joke.
Faithless
Location: On a bubble nearing the sky.....Born 7 days too late...39 years n counting...Win a cup lads...

Post by Faithless »

I think the precedent should be that unless the red card is for violence or unsporting behaviour a player shouldn't miss a final because of it. If he'd brought him down almost 1ft later it'd have been a penalty and a yellow card only.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 342 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

I get the precedent argument & you are right but I still think it's the right decision. To miss an FA cup final for that is extremely harsh.
woodford
Has liked: 412 likes
Total likes: 302 likes

Post by woodford »

bowltorious wrote:On a side note how did Monreal not get banned for his dive against Brighton? The FA and Premier League is a joke.
More to the point , how does this professional feel knowing he dives around and screams like a 10 year old girl at a One Direction gig. I heard his yelp from the upper West Side in their last game at Upton Park.

Special mention to Phil "Quasi" Jones for that technique as well
Sloop John B
The voice of reason
Has liked: 225 likes
Total likes: 448 likes

Post by Sloop John B »

Can't see why this has been overturned... It was a foul all day long and he was the last man...Harsh to miss a final for something so innocuous but they are the rules... would they have overturned it had it been mid-season...I don't think so.
Row X
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 34 likes

Post by Row X »

Sloop John B wrote:Can't see why this has been overturned... It was a foul all day long and he was the last man...Harsh to miss a final for something so innocuous but they are the rules... would they have overturned it had it been mid-season...I don't think so.
This all day long.

They are professional footballers, they know the rules.

You are losing, you are one week away from a cup final, you are already safe in the league, you are chasing an opposing player through on your goal.... I'm letting him go through and not touching him all day long, and backing my keeper to get me out of a hole... if he scores, so what, I'm still playing in the cup final next week.

The red should have been upheld, it's the f'ing rules of the game and the players, coaches, fans, commentators, football writers, everyone's nan and their dogs all know the rules.