The Mental Health Thread - (Help Contacts in First Post).

Anything goes in The Snug, General Discussion's rebellious little brother. An off-topic den of iniquity where any subject not covered elsewhere may be discussed. Well, anything except golf, Star Wars and Arsenal.

Moderators: Gnome, last.caress, Wilko1304, Rio, bristolhammerfc, the pink palermo, chalks

DasNutNock

Re: The Mental Health Thread - (Help Contacts in First Post).

Post by DasNutNock »

Yes, I did rather pull the same face when he told me, but he said it was pretty painless & quick. Trying not to think about it too much, all a bit stomach-churning.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 342 likes
Total likes: 362 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

I had a cornea replacement 20 odd years ago, was put under for that, but when they took the stitches out they just numbed the eye, didn't feel a thing, was a very weird experience though. Eyes are hardy ****ers, so wouldn't worry too much.
Samba
Has liked: 2484 likes
Total likes: 895 likes

Post by Samba »

DasNutNock wrote:Posner Schlossman Syndrome.
pablo jaye
Has liked: 2563 likes
Total likes: 925 likes

Post by pablo jaye »

DasNutNock wrote:Yes, I did rather pull the same face when he told me, but he said it was pretty painless & quick. Trying not to think about it too much, all a bit stomach-churning.
Yes, the missus had holes lasered into her eyes to relieve the pressure and she described them as being momentarily sore .... meanwhile, I was waiting outside the room and suddenly saw this huge ‘LASERS ON’ sign flashing on and off, which then set off images of James Bond being interrogated by Bloefeld.
Samba

Post by Samba »

pablo jaye wrote:Yes, the missus had holes lasered into her eyes to relieve the pressure and she described them as being momentarily sore .... meanwhile, I was waiting outside the room and suddenly saw this huge ‘LASERS ON’ sign flashing on and off, which then set off images of James Bond being interrogated by Bloefeld.
Did you expect her to talk?
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 840 likes

Post by mushy »

https://metro.co.uk/2019/06/18/i-was-an ... n-9725629/

This is a good article as regards our relationship with alcohol and how one man turned his life around.
V-M
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 59 likes

Post by V-M »

Im wondering if I can ever drink again. 57 days now since I had my last drink but I know that if I had just the one it would 'reset the clock' and having another would be easy. The following day I'd probably drink again and I'll always be putting it off until the next day. And so on.

I dont like the idea of never having a drink again but I know I couldn't trust myself if I did. Is it possible to become a moderate drinker after you've had problems with alcohol in the past?
Samba

Post by Samba »

V-M wrote:I don't like the idea of never having a drink again but I know I couldn't trust myself if I did. Is it possible to become a moderate drinker after you've had problems with alcohol in the past?
Phew, that's a good question. My gut feeling would be no. Once someone's had a problem, what brake will there be in the future, if they did start again? Of course it might also depend on just what the problem had been. Note what others (like TOMoS) have said on the matter.
You have great insight V-M & you clearly know yourself. Could you just stick to one on any/every occasion?
Samba

Post by Samba »

mushy wrote:This is a good article as regards our relationship with alcohol and how one man turned his life around.
Great article, mushy.
V-M
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 59 likes

Post by V-M »

Samba wrote: You have great insight V-M & you clearly know yourself. Could you just stick to one on any/every occasion?
Its not sticking to the one thats the problem, I really wouldn't mind having a skinfull once a week and then having a few days off. My issue is I will drink every day, and at least a bottle of wine. A few mates have said its not that much, but in my opinion it is if you do it every day.

Thats my downfall.
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 837 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

V-M wrote:Is it possible to become a moderate drinker after you've had problems with alcohol in the past?
No.
Tenbury
Has liked: 721 likes
Total likes: 1208 likes

Post by Tenbury »

Another old mate of mine kicked the bucket on Friday. He'd been a legend when younger, but , as it goes, he'd split with his (much younger ) missus, who got the house, ended up in a first floor maisonette, which was OK till he took a bad fall about 18 months ago and then that was the beginning of the end.
He'd spent the last 3 or 4 years ,before the fall, walking his terrier cross down to the Vaults @10 am ,then after 2or 3 walking home again, regular as clockwork. Not much of a life by the standards of the people that matter, but that's old age for quite a few.
Either way he must have missed it, cos Friday night he threw himself out of his first floor window and died later of multiple injuries.
Samba

Post by Samba »

V-M wrote:Its not sticking to the one thats the problem, I really wouldn't mind having a skinfull once a week and then having a few days off. My issue is I will drink every day, and at least a bottle of wine. A few mates have said its not that much, but in my opinion it is if you do it every day.
At least a bottle of wine every day, is a lot.
Samba

Post by Samba »

F*cking 'ell, Tenners. That's a sad story. How are you feeling about it? You must be shocked.
DasNutNock

Post by DasNutNock »

V-M wrote:Its not sticking to the one thats the problem, I really wouldn't mind having a skinfull once a week and then having a few days off. My issue is I will drink every day, and at least a bottle of wine. A few mates have said its not that much, but in my opinion it is if you do it every day.

Thats my downfall.
Stay strong mate. You owe it to yourself to never stop trying.
Tenbury
Has liked: 721 likes
Total likes: 1208 likes

Post by Tenbury »

Samba wrote:F*cking 'ell, Tenners. That's a sad story. How are you feeling about it? You must be shocked.
The underlying anger aside, I salute his courage. I'll miss him , but only until the next one's turn.
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Thats my downfall.
DasNutNock wrote:
Stay strong mate. You owe it to yourself to never stop trying.
What he said.

:thup:
EastBrisHammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by EastBrisHammer »

V-M wrote:I dont like the idea of never having a drink again but I know I couldn't trust myself if I did. Is it possible to become a moderate drinker after you've had problems with alcohol in the past?
I had a friend who used to drink heavily every day. He even had a stack of Stella at the bottom of his bed and he started the day with a can and a smoke. He has since cut down and drinks only when he is out socially or has friends round.

I am someone who would really miss drinking but I am very good at controlling my intake. I don't drink at home (the booze bought for Christmas remains untouched) and when I am out I usually know when I have had enough. I find going out with friends (and/or the Mrs) and drinking is a release valve. I enjoy the way friends open up after a few bevvies. I work in a very conservative industry so I am glad to go out and blow off some steam. I think without going out and having my weekly few drinks and social would send me a bit mad. So personally I see an upside to drinking and sometimes get a bit annoyed when people say you will be much happier without it. I know I wouldn't. I have gone for periods without booze and I have really missed the nights out. I have other sociable hobbies where there is no drinking involved and although I enjoy these, my night out is still probably the highlight of the week.

But we are all different. VM you have to evaluate what you get out of drinking, and if it is generally negative then you need to knock it on the head for good. If you are going to drink, then you need to set yourself some rules and stick to them. If you can't trust yourself then best to lay off for good.
Samba

Post by Samba »

Samba wrote:F*cking 'ell, Tenners. That's a sad story. How are you feeling about it? You must be shocked.
Tenbury wrote:The underlying anger aside, I salute his courage. I'll miss him , but only until the next one's turn.
Someone who I only briefly knew (met them 3 or 4 times last year) took their life, earlier this month (probably mental ill health related). It could be wrong of me to assume that though.
One of the strongest things I felt, was anger. Anger that they hadn't beaten their problems.
All I can end up thinking though, is that they are no longer suffering.
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9649 likes

Post by S-H »

Has anybody heard the last hour on TalkSport?

Leon Mckenzie has been on talking mental health, they've had quite a few callers come on to speak to Leon, and he has been brilliant, having suffered himself, it's powerful stuff and worth listening to, if it's available.