Fonte set for Hammers switch

  • by Staff Writer
  • Thursday, 19th January 2017

West Ham United are hoping to complete the capture of experienced Southampton captain Jose Fonte by the weekend.

The 33-year-old central defender is on the verge of joining the Hammers in a deal worth in the regoin ?8million + add-ons, according to reports, with his current deal at St Mary's coming to an end.

A Portuguese international, Fonte - who is contracted to Soton until the end of next season (2017/18) - arrived in England ten years ago when he joined Crystal Palace on loan from Benfica, a deal that was made permanent in 2008.

Two years later he joined Southampton on a permanent basis, signing for the Saints in a cut-price ?1,2million deal. Since then, Fonte has made more than 250 appearances for the South Coast club.




Fonte is understood to have handed in a transfer request when his current club failed to offer him an extended contract. The defender is said to have been seeking a deal worth in the region of ?70,000 over two-and-a-half years.

Slaven Bilic, when asked about potential incomings during his press conference this morning (Thursday) replied: "I am not talking about names; all I can say is that we hope to settle something in the next 24 hours."

Speaking about the Fonte situation yesterday, Saints boss Claude Puel claimed that the club has received several enquiries. "I think he has some opportunities," he said. "We will see if Jose leaves Southampton; we will see over the next few days."

* Something to say about this story? Please visit the KUMB Forum to leave a comment.

Related News